DC/DC Laptop

I use a laptop in my truck
which has 24v electrics, i am trying to run a laptop that uses 19v.
In order to eliminate an inverter is there some kind of dropper that
will drop it down to 19v? :roll: Any help is most appreciated
6 answers Last reply
More about laptop

    On 5 Mar 2005 21:38:57 -0500,
    davemiracleman@tiscali.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (davemiracleman)
    wrote:

    > I use a laptop in my truck
    >which has 24v electrics, i am trying to run a laptop that uses 19v.
    >In order to eliminate an inverter is there some kind of dropper that
    >will drop it down to 19v? :roll: Any help is most appreciated

    Yes, but most universal adapters take the standard 12v. U may go to a
    trucker-specific forum, am sure members there bumped into this dilema
    before.

    An electronics-savvy buddy should be able to build you a 24v to 19v
    converter very cheapy.

    bobb wrote:
    > On 5 Mar 2005 21:38:57 -0500,
    > davemiracleman@tiscali.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (davemiracleman)
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I use a laptop in my truck
    >>which has 24v electrics, i am trying to run a laptop that uses 19v.
    >>In order to eliminate an inverter is there some kind of dropper that
    >>will drop it down to 19v? :roll: Any help is most appreciated
    >

    > Yes, but most universal adapters take the standard 12v. U may go to a
    > trucker-specific forum, am sure members there bumped into this dilema
    > before.
    >
    > An electronics-savvy buddy should be able to build you a 24v to 19v
    > converter very cheapy.

    Make sure your electronics-savvy buddy is also laptop power supply savvy
    and auto electrical system savvy. It's often a LOT more complicated
    than just generating a voltage. Based on what I've read here, 112% of
    the people who contemplate doing this would blow up their laptop.
    205% of those offering advice were dead wrong...emphasis on the
    dead...as in dead laptop.

    mike

    ..
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    Interested in the scope... Have all leads and manual? Price? Also I
    most likely have a screen for the 12.1 replacement..
    www.ikenfixit.com

    I have a 12volt dropper in my truck that goes from 24 volt to 12
    volt,
    I have seen on e-bay a device that steps up from 12volt to 19volt.
    Would this work?

    The truck's DC power bus has too many spikes on it from when major
    inductive loads cut in and out to allow it to be safely used directly.
    And the power requirements are way too high for a linear regulator.
    Therefore, an inverter is your best choice, or a DC-DC converter (e.g.
    auto/air power supply) that can tolerate a 24 volt input rather than the
    more common 12 volt input.

    davemiracleman wrote:
    > I use a laptop in my truck
    > which has 24v electrics, i am trying to run a laptop that uses 19v.
    > In order to eliminate an inverter is there some kind of dropper that
    > will drop it down to 19v? :roll: Any help is most appreciated

    Yes, if you have 12 volts DC available, you can use that as the input to
    a standard auto adapter. Be sure, however, that you have enough
    current, because some modern laptops will draw over 10 amps -- perhaps
    even 15 amps -- from the 12 volt input.

    davemiracleman wrote:

    > I have a 12volt dropper in my truck that goes from 24 volt to 12
    > volt,
    > I have seen on e-bay a device that steps up from 12volt to 19volt.
    > Would this work?

Laptops