Diamond 5550 overclocking problem

G

So, I've been gaming off my 1080p HD screen, surfing youtube, doing everything perfectly out of the box with my Diamon Radeon HD 5550 for a couple weeks now. I had installed CCC right when I put the card on my mobo, but never got around to tweaking the settings until just yesterday. So, after getting the 3D and video settings to my likings I thought, heck, why not test out this overclocking feature? I'm not sure exactly what I pressed and what the dialog said exactly but it was saying a whole bunch of stuff about needing an AMD processor and blabla, and I have an AMD Phenom II X2 processor, so I pressed ok. It then started it's test thing and said it will ask if I want to keep the settings or not when its done. I pressed ok and the screen went blank, then the task bar came up with the rest of the screen changing colors and coulorful squares randomly coming up all over the place... this goes on for about 10 minutes, so I powered down. Now every time I log in everything works for about 10 seconds, then this starts happening again! I don't even have enough time upon logging in to change the settings before the computer goes completely ballistic... I would really appreciate some help! I just built this computer too :(

Boot in safe mode, and attempt to alter the CCC. I do not believe you can however, so you may have to uninstall the CCC while in safe mode. When you reboot, you'll have to reinstall the drivers and it should be at the default clocks.

To boot into safe mode, just after the machine posts, hit F8 over and over until you get a dialog to allow you to start in safe mode.

G

The only two options it gives me is change or repair and both are inaccessible in safe mode. It was saying I can system restore... though I'm not sure of how to do this and if that would fix the problem. I can take a video of what's happening when my computer flips out if that would help.

Spartanrevenge

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
After you've gotten things stable and reinstalled catalyst, read what it is you are doing before pressing OK, especially when it comes to overclocking. Overclocking ATI cards is pretty easy, just take it slow and don't try setting everything to max right away.

The only two options it gives me is change or repair and both are inaccessible in safe mode. It was saying I can system restore... though I'm not sure of how to do this and if that would fix the problem. I can take a video of what's happening when my computer flips out if that would help.

You may be able to unstall the driver instead of the CCC.

G

Well luckily I didn't need to uninstall anything at all. I was able to do a system restore from safe mode into normal mode and that put me back to before I unlocked the overclocking! Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys! If you wouldn't have showed me how to get into safe mode, I would have been stuck on this forever D=

fightitout

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

Did anyone get overclocking/underclocking working with ATI 5550 ? As soon as I unlock the feature my machine hangs.
I tried the latest driver from AMD website. It doesn't help much