Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Dell Dimension 9200 PSU

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
April 16, 2011 12:52:03 PM

Hi all,

I have been scouring all manner of forums looking for an answer to the following question:

Can a Dell Dimension 9200 PSU (375W) be replaced with a more powerful (500W+) PSU, and if so do you know where in the UK I can get one?

Lots of people seem to have asked the question, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

My problem is that my 8600GT card blew up, and thought I'd upgrade to the HD5870... but of course there isn't enough power (at least, there aren't enough 6 pin connections - I need 2, there is only 1).

If anyone could help me in this it would be greatly appreciated. The only option I have found so far is the Silencer 500, but this is either only available in the US or discontinued.

Let me know if any more info would help.

System:
Dell Dimension 200
2gb RAM
Vista 32 bit
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 16, 2011 1:02:50 PM

You do not need a Dell compatible psu, almost any standard ATX unit will work.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
April 16, 2011 2:01:34 PM

Thanks mate - are there any particular things to look for (ie features / spec that you are aware won't work)?

E.g. if I went for this one do you think it would be ok?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/680w-g7-power-extreme-atx-psu-3...

Finally, when switching it with the existing one are there any particular tips / tricks / etc that would assist?

Thanks again for the swift reply!

Regards,
Matt
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 16, 2011 2:54:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks mate - are there any particular things to look for (ie features / spec that you are aware won't work)?

E.g. if I went for this one do you think it would be ok?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/680w-g7-power-extreme-atx-psu-3...

Finally, when switching it with the existing one are there any particular tips / tricks / etc that would assist?

Thanks again for the swift reply!

Regards,
Matt

The size is the only obstacle, and you're not looking for a 1kw unit so not really a factor.

There isn't a power supply on that site that I would reccomend.

Because the existing wiring runs behind the heatsink, you'll want to have some thermal paste on hand when upgrading the psu.
a b ) Power supply
April 16, 2011 3:09:13 PM

No ,don't buy it from Maplins, overpriced and probably a cheap nasty unit.

Yep, was right, looking at the specs, its nasty.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
April 16, 2011 4:31:09 PM

Thanks guys...

Any recommendations from another source that you think would work?

Matt
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
April 17, 2011 5:09:28 PM

This seems to be how most of the threads on this topic end - lots of 'here's what not to do' but I still don't know which PSU will work.

Thanks anyway...

a c 243 ) Power supply
April 17, 2011 7:45:30 PM

Quote:
This seems to be how most of the threads on this topic end - lots of 'here's what not to do' but I still don't know which PSU will work.

Thanks anyway...

The psu's linked above will all work, I just don't have a UK link to give you.
!