/ Sign-up
Your question

LGA2011 vs 1155 vs wait for Ivy ???

  • Motherboards
  • Asus
Last response: in Motherboards
December 22, 2011 11:41:49 AM

Wondering your opinions.

I want to build a new machine in the next 6 months.

50% of me thinks I should go "value" and get an i5 now on an Asus Z68 board- OC it, then ebay the CPU a couple months after Ivy comes out and upgrade to a faster Ivy chip. The problem here is that I am not sure IVY will be compatible with my board I buy. I was looking at either the ROG Asus Maximus Extreme ( I have the old one now for my 775 and love it) or go cheaper with something like a z68 asus Pro gen3.

The other 50% thinks LGA2011 is better, and that Ivy will be more compatible with these boards. The cost of coarse is about double :( 

Or I could wait for Ivy and just do it then.


I want something I can get into now for a decent price (under $1000) that I can have a little room to grow without starting over.

I now have a Asus Formula Maximus II z38 mobo with a E8500 wolfdale @4.0ghz.

If I spend the money- I would want to make sure I got something that was substantially better than I have now.

I plan to use my Vertex SSD, all HDD's, case, PS, vid/soundcards etc.. so I am looking for a Board, Ram, CPU type upgrade.

I only have 4GB now... probably would start with 4x4GB for a total of 16GB of DDR3 if I did something.

Opinions needed

More about : lga2011 1155 wait ivy

December 29, 2011 11:25:35 PM

I read today about a new Sandy E chip for LGA2011 that will be 4 core and not 6 and cost $284. Performance is about the same as 2600 LGA1155.

Seems like option. Could spend the extra on board now.. get the cheap chip.. then upgrade the CPU to a IVY in summer time.

Thoughts? vs getting LGA1155 now ?