Quick Cheap upgrade... which one

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Video
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2011 8:01:37 PM

Should i upgrade my stock amd athlon ii x4 645 processor heatsink so i can overclock it more or should i add 4more gb of memory? Which would benefit my pc more? I edit videos and pictures, stream videos, search the web and watch movies most on it.

More about : quick cheap upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2011 8:08:10 PM

the extra RAM will help if the videos and pictures you edit are really large.
m
l
January 19, 2011 8:35:39 PM

You will definitely benefit from upgrading your cpu cooler for higher OC .
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus about $ 30.00 and up ..there are a lot of choices
a lot of review here at Tom's

and depending on your budget you may be able to do both

how much ram [info] do you have now?
and what config of sticks ? Example 2X2GB 2x4GB?
and what maninboard ? [just in case we need this info]

if you have 4GB now that supports higher OC >> get the cooler and a good one

so check some this out and post your budget, current ram, mobo info and let us know

From what you mentioned in usage; having good memsticks, good timings
and cooler cpu temps running 24/7 would be a very noticeable upgrade .

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 19, 2011 8:57:56 PM

tcfraz said:
4gb of this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I didnt want to spend over $50 but could go over budget if needed

thanks for getting back the mobo you have is great

FYI it seems that 2X4GB sticks tend to OC better but since you have 2x2GB sticks now adding those would make a huge dif in what you are doing re: edits vids especially with larger files

good choice to add those mem sticks and get a cooler later
January 19, 2011 9:02:33 PM

would adding 8 gigs rather than 4 make a that big of a difference... ive asked and read somewhere before that once you get 8 gb of ram you dont really get that much more benefit but i could be wrong
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2011 9:11:21 PM

not really. Tom's did an article back in December that suggested 8 GB is good on its own, but at 12 or 16GB, you're often better off using some of it as a RAMDISK swap file.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2011 9:22:49 PM

just add more of your RAM (one more set) to have a total of 4x2gb make sure that's completely stable with memtest86+ (4 sticks at once is more unstable then 2)

later add the cooler play suggested for your CPU to overclock better, the scmg-2100 though would be the best cooler though but the hyper 212+ should do
m
l
January 19, 2011 9:23:39 PM

tcfraz said:
would adding 8 gigs rather than 4 make a that big of a difference... ive asked and read somewhere before that once you get 8 gb of ram you dont really get that much more benefit but i could be wrong

let me make sure I understand that you already have :

4gb of this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820161279

and would simply like to add another 4gb of same mem right? for a total of 8gb which is plenty
and you do have Win764bit to access over 4gb mem ?

Quote:

add a cpu cooler CM COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

and only slightly over budget more mem higher OC potential overall best bang/buck
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2011 9:26:10 PM

@rrplay to pust a URL just copy it and then paste it

@OP I would just get the RAM now and later purchase the hyper 212+ or scmg-2100 so you don't go over budget
m
l
January 19, 2011 9:31:02 PM

rrplay said:
let me make sure I understand that you already have :

4gb of this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820161279

and would simply like to add another 4gb of same mem right? for a total of 8gb which is plenty
and you do have Win764bit to access over 4gb mem ?

Quote:

add a cpu cooler CM COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

and only slightly over budget more mem higher OC potential overall best bang/buck

Yes im running a 64bit win 7 operating system on 4gb and yes i was looking at adding an additional 4gb of the same ram i have now... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2011 9:37:07 PM

Go for it
m
l
January 19, 2011 9:47:41 PM

Check your memory usage history in windows task manager when you have been just doing your regular intensive tasks. That gives you an idea how much you need - if you seldom go to even 4 GB then getting 8 GB more is just wasted money.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2011 9:52:07 PM

^that would be a good idea, I assumed that you were working with large files and had been using pretty much max memory
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2011 1:33:57 AM

dam*it shinobs I forgot to mention that :(  I usually remember to. hopefully OP didn't buy yet
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2011 1:47:58 AM

Yeeppp
m
l
January 20, 2011 3:47:22 PM

How quiet is your system? I have the Hyper 212 with apparently the same fan as on the Amazon model (Slipstream?), and it's surprisingly loud considering the desibel rating. Then again I have a system that's designed to be quiet.

What is the thermal spec of that CPU? The 212 seems to provide excellent cooling for mid range CPUs (I am using silver paste though, not the stock thermal paste) but your cooling need will affect your fan speed and thus noise.

You can very easily replace the fan on the cooler (standard 120mm stuff) if noise is a problem, but it can kill the budget you quoted. However you can leave that later as an option if you like.
m
l
January 20, 2011 7:26:51 PM

Best answer selected by tcfraz.
m
l
January 20, 2011 9:32:56 PM

aznshinobi said:
Umm instead of the Hyper 212+ from Newegg, hope you didn't get it yet, get it from Amazon. Cheaper and with free shipping. Also it comes with another fan.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1YPH0/ref=s9_simh...
That's interesting. I just ordered this yesterday (and since then the price has come down 21ยข.)

I didn't notice the second fan, but it's clearly there on the first picture. There is no mention of the second fan other than "Upgradable to dual fans and swapping of fans with extra fan-clips included." I am curious to see if it actually comes with that.

-hank
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2011 9:35:50 PM

The price on the 212+ at amazon changes daily. Let's see if you get the extra fan if you don't raise he*l with customer support, "I want my fan and I want it now!!!!"
m
l
January 21, 2011 10:30:12 PM

I don't think they state or imply a 2nd fan in that. But I'm sure they'll happily allow you to return it if you don't find a 2nd fan inside the packaging.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2011 12:36:57 AM

it clearly displays in the photo the other fan
m
l
!