Playing with timings, need input

mugenkid18

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I currently have 2 modules of 4GB 1333MHz G.Skill Ripjaw memory at ~1.5v. The factory timings were 9-9-9-24 1T, and my ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 recognized it as such without adjustment. The ASRock UEFI BIOS lets me adjust the speed, voltage, and timings though and I would like to get the most bang for my buck. I already started playing with the timing, but not the speed or DRAM voltage, and set them to 8-8-8-21 (this was factory on a different model of memory so I copied it) and it seems to work fine. Even WEI noticed the difference and rated the memory from a 7.6 to a 7.7 :pt1cable:

But how much further can I go? And what is the best technique for overvolting and overclocking the memory?

Solution
Well on slower memory like 1333 you have more overhead. I would go look at the best timimgs you can find on factory modules and then work towards this. up volt .1 then try lowering rx tx tras one at a time by one and check for stability. One thing to note you will not end up with numbers all the same like you 8-8-8 and you might have to loosen some to get better on others such as 7-6-9-18 it can take time to work through it but very unlikely you will get below 7's so dont take to much time on this as you will see almost no diffrence. I know its fun just stop when your eyes start hurting lol...

Thent
Well on slower memory like 1333 you have more overhead. I would go look at the best timimgs you can find on factory modules and then work towards this. up volt .1 then try lowering rx tx tras one at a time by one and check for stability. One thing to note you will not end up with numbers all the same like you 8-8-8 and you might have to loosen some to get better on others such as 7-6-9-18 it can take time to work through it but very unlikely you will get below 7's so dont take to much time on this as you will see almost no diffrence. I know its fun just stop when your eyes start hurting lol...

Thent

Solution
Faster -- it depends on the kit and the voltage. Probably up to DDR3-1866 with higher CAS timings. You'll probably need 1.60v~1.65 for higher Frequency and might want to use Command Rate -> 2N.

Nice article -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vengeance-crucial-ballistix-kingston-hyperX,2907.html

Keep in mind, as the Frequency Increases (faster) the CAS Timings Increases (slower).

Nice Chart:
CAS_Frequncy_Chart.png

TRENDING THREADS