Sign in with
Your question

New Build = Instant on machine! BAM!

Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2011 10:00:50 PM

:bounce: 
Your opinion is very important to me, what do you think Tom?

Purpose:
Primary = Work: Statistics in Excel with multiple add-ins, local access databases, and other various taxing work programs.

Secondary = I’ll upgrade the GPU later and use the 260 as a physics card for Mafia II

Reasoning:
My work needs to load fast (ssd raid 0), all programs instant on when I click because I’m a jerk like that.
After excel loads with the multiple statistical and power user add-ins it needs to handle books with more that 100k rows with formulas if I want (I5-2500k). Sometimes my tables link to access, fetching local data (both cpu and ssd).
I’ve got multiple monitors 2x 23inch (primary workspace), 1x 19in (email browser), 1x 52in TV (updating browser data) so multiple processes running at once but not really graphics intense just yet.
This is work, so overclocking is not necessary until I get bored.

Concerns:
Can this board handle the 2 ssd in rad 0?
Is there a better board or method of getting the desired instant on?

Build:
Mother board: ASUS P8P67 EVO

SSD: 2X in raid 0 : OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX80G 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CPU: i5-2500K

RAM: 2X @ 16gb: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

GPU: already owned/spare Nvidia 260 and Nvidia 210
January 20, 2011 12:02:58 AM

I'll give you my opinions.

First and most importantly if your system is configured properly you shouldn't have to turn it off more than once a week. Any software you are using that requires you to reboot more frequently needs to be repaired or replaced. Recovery from hibernation can and should be far closer to instant than a cold boot will ever be. Recovery from a simpler sleep mode is easily instantaneous on modern hardware.

A single 120GB SSD would be a better choice, as it would be slower to fill up and so would not impact performance so soon. Since no RAID is used your system is simpler. A simple system is a happier system and less error-prone.

Do you really need more than 8GB memory? That's quite a lot and usually only graphical programs such as CAD or 3D rendering need more.

Are your programs well multi-threaded? You might benefit more from the hyper-threaded i7 2600(K).

m
l
!