Sign in with
Your question

Response Time

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 24, 2003 11:18:26 PM

What is a good response time for LCD screen? Call me stupid but I can put a good bet that 50ms is bad, right?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by WellCookedFetus on 01/25/03 08:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : response time

January 26, 2003 2:13:06 AM

Why does no one responed it is a simple question is it not?
January 26, 2003 3:19:23 AM

It depends on what u want to use the lcd for. If it's for word processing, an 80ms response time is fine. Now if you want to watch movies, play games, etc. you want at least 30fps, though 60 would be better. In that case, to do 30fps, u'd need an lcd that has a response time of 33 1/3ms, and for 60 16 2/3ms response time. However, the issue is that response time is given for black to white whereas transitions to gray take more time b/c lesser power is used, so it takes longer to respond. On a 25ms panel, response times to shift to a gray can be over 50ms, which is bad. w/ 16ms it's better. In conclusion, if u want to use lcd for multimedia, get a 16ms response time one.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Related resources
January 26, 2003 3:39:10 AM

Thx you! This is for my mother not me. Images and web pages is what she does not movies or games. I was thinking a cheap 17in off newegg: Either a AOC Model LM700 for $369 or a AG NEOVO 17" LCD F-17 for $395. I trust AOC I have AOC CRTs that have lasted 6 years now. The AG Neovo though as a Responce time of 35ms over the AOC which has 50ms. The AOC is a little brighter though. Which would you buy for your mother?
January 26, 2003 2:33:05 PM

You also want to make sure it's got a good viewing angle and will display colors well. Also, higher brightness is not better- the human eye is comfortable at 40cd/m^s, crt's max out at around 100 or 120 cd/m^s, and lcd's are often above 200cd/m^s so she'll end up turning brightness down. From Newegg, the Viewsonic VE175 looks very nice for the price...but imo, see if u can check it out in a store before buying. It costs $454 but is a lot better than those other lcd's. BTW, the ag neovo also has a 50ms response time- they gave 15/35, which is rise and fall time- total response time is the sum of the two so 50ms.

- Mario Andretti
January 27, 2003 12:28:58 PM

I recommend the Hitachi CML174

it's an excellent monitor

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2
January 27, 2003 6:26:02 PM

The response time is not necessary in this case and also it's got poor viewing angles imo. Plus, it costs more than the afforementioned lcd's.

- Mario Andretti
February 23, 2003 8:31:55 PM

Flamethrower have u a personal vendetta against hitachi?? lmao

Cause u r definatley not a big fan of the CML174 lol.

Why is this?
February 23, 2003 11:21:02 PM

Why am I not telling everyone to go ahead and buy a CML174? B/c it's not the uber lcd people expect it will be (ok, go ahead and flame me for saying it). The reality is that viewing angles ain't the best and many people r saying they don't like its colors, etc. New lcd's will come with better tech- this is the first 16ms lcd, and as with most techs the first isn't the best and can be improved. Remember when everyone went out an bought a TFT7020?

Hilbert space is a big place.
February 24, 2003 5:49:02 PM

LOL

Ok..but ive ordered it now!!!
Im not here to flame m8 just hear to learn and i appreicate ppl having the time to reply.
:-)
February 24, 2003 7:03:38 PM

see how you like it. If you don't u can always return, if you do like it, then cool.

February 24, 2003 8:21:28 PM

Flame and as I recall you where the one telling everyone here to purchase the TFT7020, you said you bought one also then sent it back. Have you even seen the CML174 yourself? What you forget to mention is most people view monitors straight on so viewing angles in most cases are not very important anyway.

You keep saying that newer technology is right around the corner like FFD that you said would be here last October. Will technology get better, yes of course it will it always gets better as time goes by.

Most of our customers are raving about how good the color reproduction of the CML174 is. Color is so subjective what looks good to me may not look good to you. Until there is a way to measure color this is simply your opinion. And you know what they say about opinions everyone has one.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
MonitorsDirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>
February 24, 2003 9:45:40 PM

Yeah, I learned a thing or 2 from my experience w/ TFT7020. One of em was that viewing a 17" w/ 140º viewing angles you still get difference between the top and bottom. Color also varies from LCD to LCD even though they may be the same model. I have seen plenty people here having issues with it. Thing is you average person may not notice it simply because they don't know what to expect and rave about the colors. For many people who post here, they know more and will probably be dissatisfied with the coloring if there's something bad about. I know that when choosing a monitor I don't accept it when there's something wrong, cause it'll keep on bothering me. Look, I'm not stopping you from reccomending a monitor you sell, nor am I stopping others, I'm simply stating what I gave found to be the case from the reviews of users. I tend to trust the negative ones a little more than the positive ones simply because when people buy a product they tend to overlook its imperfections simply because it's theirs and they don't want to admit to a fault. FYI, I got the TFT7020 3 times and finally got annoyed and returned it. I don't think it's my fault either if I reccomend something that's going to come out and a company doesn't release though they have promised to, I don't own the companies, nor do I control them.

February 25, 2003 3:16:16 PM

Flame

Save it, you have lost all credibility with me. All you do is re-post what others say based on what you read on the Internet. Anyone who believes everything they read especially on the Internet is very foolish.

You post here making it sound like you have first hand experience with many of these products yet you have never even seen most of them.

I don’t have a problem with posting if you post the links to your sources since you cannot form an educated opinion on a monitor you have never even seen. All you do is copy what others have said. Do your own homework then post your opinions.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Monitorsdirect.com

February 25, 2003 8:04:44 PM

O, so now we're on that issue? Fine, you don't have credibility with me then because you sell monitors, and it's in your best interest to get customers to buy. Plus, you advocated MVA quite a bit before, neglecting to mention the problem with grey shift time......

February 25, 2003 9:24:25 PM

No I did not advocate anything I was correcting the miss information that you were spreading just like I am now.

I will not wast any more time on you.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
MonitorsDirect.com

February 25, 2003 9:52:12 PM

well said Mr Witkowski
February 25, 2003 10:03:25 PM

I don't see how it's misinformation if several people agree on it. Let me guess, CML174 sells pretty well for you, so now anyone who speaks against it you must bash. Perhaps this weekend I shall go and test it. IF I find any of what people have said against is true, you will certainly lose credibility.

!