Sign in with
Your question
Closed

MASSIVE Texture Popping

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2010 9:04:43 AM

Hello all,
I have the HD 5770 1GB card and I am experience massive texture popping in every game I own.
What I mean is that certain textures, or items will spawn only when I am VERY close to them such as rocks, building textures, debris, rubbish and especially grass and trees.

This only started happening this week. Before this, everything was fine.
I have no overclocks.

This happens in the games
Call of Duty Series
Battlefield Series
Crysis
F.E.A.R 2
Grand Theft Auto IV

My specs are
i7 860 @ 3.5ghz
4gb ram
ASUS P7P55D-E
HD 5770 1GB
Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Help please.
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 1:46:14 PM

Seems like the problem would be in your CCC settings. Have you just updated drivers?

In any case, a good start would be to play a bit with the CCC settings, and if that doesn't work clean out the old drivers and dl/re-install a fresh set.
Score
November 22, 2010 6:18:46 AM

Twoboxer said:
Seems like the problem would be in your CCC settings. Have you just updated drivers?

In any case, a good start would be to play a bit with the CCC settings, and if that doesn't work clean out the old drivers and dl/re-install a fresh set.

Hey thanks for your reply. I never got this problem until about this week, so I decided to update my graphic drivers. I thought that would fix the problem but it did not seem to go away. I did not roll back my drivers and let me say the problem still consists in BOTH drivers.

How may you suggest me to remove my current drivers and start new?

I have messed with CCC for countless hours but still leading to the same result.

Thanks!
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2010 6:26:23 AM

Control Panel, Programs and Features, double-click on ATI Catalyst Install Manager. Choose options that get you to Custom Uninstall, and you'll see a list of things you can delete.

Then reboot into windows - yes, without any drivers - and download/install a fresh copy of the latest drivers.
Score
November 23, 2010 6:37:38 AM

Twoboxer said:
Control Panel, Programs and Features, double-click on ATI Catalyst Install Manager. Choose options that get you to Custom Uninstall, and you'll see a list of things you can delete.

Then reboot into windows - yes, without any drivers - and download/install a fresh copy of the latest drivers.

Hey again,
I did what you suggested. Uninstall and re-installed my drivers. No change, Still getting texture popping everywhere. I seriously do not know what went wrong. I did not change any hardware or software now this texture popping randomly started.
Score
a c 171 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 7:38:03 AM

Running out of system ram/video ram most likely. Did you change in game settings, increase texture size, resolution, anti aliasing? Did you recently install something recently that loads at startup and may be using up some ram? Or have something running in the background you dont normally have running? I'd be checking ram useage as the cause of texture pop-up. Also check your gfx card is not getting too hot. Is it going into summer in your part of the world? weather heating up?
Score
November 23, 2010 7:45:49 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
Running out of system ram/video ram most likely. Did you change in game settings, increase texture size, resolution, anti aliasing? Did you recently install something recently that loads at startup and may be using up some ram? Or have something running in the background you dont normally have running? I'd be checking ram useage as the cause of texture pop-up. Also check your gfx card is not getting too hot. Is it going into summer in your part of the world? weather heating up?

Hey,
I have no installed something recently that is very memory intensive. I use GameBooster everytime before I run my games. How may I monitor my memory usage in-game. And what is the recommended temperature for my GFX in-game?

Update: I am running at 53 degrees Celsius in-game at 100% load.
I have a 1GB GFX CARD
Thanks
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 9:48:05 PM

Please check and see if Windows is still reporting 4GB of RAM (or check with CPUID's CPU-z). Also check reported vid card memory using CPUID's GPU-z.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1898/TechPowerUp_G...

The problem is you're experiencing texture-popping across the board - seems we need a "global" problem to fix.
Score
a c 171 U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 1:04:09 AM

If it started happening all of a sudden, a week ago as you say, something in your system has changed, or the card has gone faulty. Do you run an anti virus program? scan for viruses. Windows updates updated something? Also, are there any games that run fine? maybe compare ram useage/vid memory useage between the games that have issues and the games that dont. Try lowering texture detail and resolution settings to low in the games that have problems and see if that fixes it. If that doesnt fix it, you can pretty much rule out running out of video ram.
Score
November 24, 2010 4:00:21 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
If it started happening all of a sudden, a week ago as you say, something in your system has changed, or the card has gone faulty. Do you run an anti virus program? scan for viruses. Windows updates updated something? Also, are there any games that run fine? maybe compare ram useage/vid memory useage between the games that have issues and the games that dont. Try lowering texture detail and resolution settings to low in the games that have problems and see if that fixes it. If that doesnt fix it, you can pretty much rule out running out of video ram.

I am certain that I have not updated anything through Windows Update recently. There are no games that run fine. Every one of them has the same amount of texture popping. I have tried all games on lowest detail and resolutions but there is still the same amount of texture popping.

I think it is time that we can rule out running out of video ram.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 4:14:31 AM

As I asked earlier, does cpu-z or gpu-z report different RAM and VRAM than you should have?
Score
a c 171 U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 8:30:27 AM

maybe some ram has gone bad in the vid card.
Score
November 24, 2010 8:37:23 AM

Twoboxer said:
As I asked earlier, does cpu-z or gpu-z report different RAM and VRAM than you should have?

Yes everything seems fine. It is showing the correct amount of RAM I should have.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 7:53:21 PM

And video Ram?
Score
November 25, 2010 4:08:43 AM

Twoboxer said:
And video Ram?

Shows correct VRAM.
I finally decided to put in one of my 9800 that I had lying around. Still had texture popping. So I don't think this is video card related. I guess this has something to do with my 4GB (2GB Usable) problem.

CPU-Z tells me I have 4GB of ram. But right clicking on computer tells 4GB (2GB Usable)

Score
a c 171 U Graphics card
November 25, 2010 6:30:57 PM

Does your motherboard have onboard video? go into your bios settings, have you got onboard video enabled? disable it if you do. Thats a common device for memory to be reserved for.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2010 11:50:12 PM

mrcupboard said:
I guess this has something to do with my 4GB (2GB Usable) problem.

CPU-Z tells me I have 4GB of ram. But right clicking on computer tells 4GB (2GB Usable)
We've been poking around trying to find out if you have suddenly "lost" memory. Why? Because if you had lost ram or vram, needed texture wouldn't be there, the scene would draw, and eventually the textures would be high enough priority to bring them in . . . POP. In all games.

So tell us more about your "2GB usable problem". When did this happen?

You don't have onboard video . . . where is this memory usage coming from?

Score
November 26, 2010 3:59:19 AM

Twoboxer said:
We've been poking around trying to find out if you have suddenly "lost" memory. Why? Because if you had lost ram or vram, needed texture wouldn't be there, the scene would draw, and eventually the textures would be high enough priority to bring them in . . . POP. In all games.

So tell us more about your "2GB usable problem". When did this happen?

You don't have onboard video . . . where is this memory usage coming from?

It's happened ever since the purchased this PC. 2months ago.

This is the message I get when I click on properties ---> computer and look at Installed System Ram. 4GB ram ( 2 GB Usable )

I have tried ram checks, re-arranging the ram sticks, cleaning. I've basically done alot of things that people have suggested over the internet.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2010 4:07:24 AM

Well, I'd ask for an explanation of the problem from whoever built the system for you. I don't know any reason why half your memory should be unusable.

If this problem has been there since day 1, it may not be the answer to your "popping" problem. But I'd get it resolved ASAP.
November 26, 2010 4:10:20 AM

Best answer selected by Mrcupboard.
Score
November 26, 2010 4:11:50 AM

Twoboxer said:
Well, I'd ask for an explanation of the problem from whoever built the system for you. I don't know any reason why half your memory should be unusable.

If this problem has been there since day 1, it may not be the answer to your "popping" problem. But I'd get it resolved ASAP.

Okay I'll go check it out with the buildings. Do you think I should bother to re-format my PC and see if that fixes it the popping?
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2010 4:26:21 AM

No . . . but I would ask the builder "Are you going to reformat my PC to fix that?"
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 27, 2010 10:22:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!