PC won't start after putting in new Video Card.

stmpdyrd

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Hello,

I planned to upgrade to a video card with Shader model 3.0 to try out some new games [Used to go on fine with my ATI Radeon x1200 IGP]. I managed to borrow an old Geforce 6600 from a friend just to see how if it's playable enough for my taste.

I followed some online guides on how to install: Disable old GPU, choose PCIe as primary video in BIOS, Put in card into PCIe bus, but when i powered it on, nothing happens.

My mobo is an MS-7367, and im having doubts if i properly disabled the IGP.

Also, see that the 6600 has a cable that connects the video card to its fan. I may have made a boboo because when I first saw it, it had a 4 pinned plug that i thought connects to the PSU. It's just recently that i realized, the 4 pin plug had other smallers pins that connect the fan to video card for power (ithink)

Help guys! Thanks!

acer0169

Distinguished

Can you please explain this?

acer0169

Distinguished
Haha malmental! I see you on these forums more than anyone else, you should have seen me do this at least one or twice before ;). Anyway yeah.. I agree with you. Sounds like he's damaged his card by not plugging in the fan and now it's unstable. Not sure though.. he hasn't come back since the first post..

stmpdyrd

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Hi there,

sorry for not replying earlier.

What i meant by what thought was a booboo was that I connected the video card's fan's power supply plug directly to my PSU (contrary to what the card would show on its box, it would plug directly to a slot on the other side of the card).

I asked my friend whom i borrowed it from said he tweaked the plugs a bit so now the fan has to get direct power from the psu. Mean i didn't make boomboom of it.

Well, I still have the problem of not getting the PC to run when I have the card installed. [Mobo is a MS-7367].

I've tried disabling the IGP on windows (Bios doesn't have option on mine), but nothing still happens.
By nothing i mean, once everything is plugged and I press power, nothing sounds, lights up or whatever. And when the VC is removed, everything's fine.

I'm kinda worried that If I buy a newer video card it would end up not being accepted by my pc.

Thanks for the ideas, if you have them :D

new003

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
how many watts is your power supply? I once had a card for about 2 months before stuff went wierd and my computer wouldn't even start and come to find out that for 2 months my card was getting severely overheated and eventually malfuntioned and forced the computer to stop working until i removed the card.

stmpdyrd

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

But should that be an impediment for my pc to atleast boot up if it is sucking my power dry?

Thanks for the rep.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Your pc would start up fine, but when you start playing games after half an hour it should automatically shut down, unless the psu wasn't given the feature which is unlikely.

Once the 6600 is at load, then you'll notice serious problems.