Dell xps 400 flashing amber light on start button

danoon1

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I have an XPS 400. It will not power up, and I have the flashing amber light on the start button. If I take out the battery and plug the computer back in, the fan will start for about 1 second. There is a green light on the mb. Otherwise, the computer is dead. I have checked all connections and have replaced the battery. Thank you for your help.

danoon1

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Thank you for your help. I am not well informed in these matters, and the sharing of your knowledge is really appreciated. It looks to me that I should do some checking as suggested. If I need to order a new power supply, I will do so. Thank you so much.

sparkyuiop

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
It is likely the PSU (Power Supply) and not the motherboard so test that first. Dell PSU's are quite expensive and not the same as normal ATX PSU's found in most other PC's. I would suggest buying an 'ATX to Dell Cable Converter' from eBay as these are only a few quid and powering it up with a normal P.C P.S.U that you can borrow or scavange out of an old PC. Just make sure it is the 24 pin plug on the ATX P.S.U and not the much older 20 pin.
If it works you can then replace the Dell P.S.U if you wish but personally I'd just buy a 500Watt ATX and keep the converter on it.

adonerite

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

I have the same problem. Did you figure out what it was. my friends tell me it is probably power supply.