Corrupt JPEG (Can only see thumb)

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 28, 2005 3:53:59 PM

I have a bunch of pictures that I recovered off a CF card with data
recovery software. Some of the pics either will not open with any
program or open, but have big blocks grayed out of the whole photo. In
windows explorer it shows the thumbnail with the entire picture in tact
but the full image does not. It was taken with a canon a40 so I don't
think it saved a thumbnail separately, but I could be wrong. Does
anyone know a way to repair these to look like the thumbnail pictures
do?

More about : corrupt jpeg thumb

January 28, 2005 9:33:42 PM

Thanks Martin, I think I sent the picture to your email but I am not
sure if I got it correct. I tried badcopy pro with the same results.
Lexar doesn't allow you to download a trial so I am not about to pay
$30 for something that does not work.
January 29, 2005 1:22:19 AM

On 28 Jan 2005 12:53:59 -0800, "CB" <shaklee3@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a bunch of pictures that I recovered off a CF card with data
>recovery software. Some of the pics either will not open with any
>program or open, but have big blocks grayed out of the whole photo. In
>windows explorer it shows the thumbnail with the entire picture in tact
>but the full image does not. It was taken with a canon a40 so I don't
>think it saved a thumbnail separately, but I could be wrong. Does
>anyone know a way to repair these to look like the thumbnail pictures
>do?

Try The Lexar image recovery 2 program or BadCopy they might be able
to get the oimage back but it's a long shot.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:59:25 AM

CB wrote:

> I have a bunch of pictures that I recovered off a CF card with data
> recovery software. Some of the pics either will not open with any
> program or open, but have big blocks grayed out of the whole photo. In
> windows explorer it shows the thumbnail with the entire picture in tact
> but the full image does not. It was taken with a canon a40 so I don't
> think it saved a thumbnail separately, but I could be wrong. Does
> anyone know a way to repair these to look like the thumbnail pictures
> do?

Try several different JPEG image recovery programs working from a copy
of the original media and prayer. You might be lucky. Some programs get
confused by thumbnails in the JPEG header and fubar the main data.

The header often survives even when the main data has been trashed
beyond all recognition. A quick and dirty test is to try ZIP compressing
the files. If they compress by more than 5% it is probably not a JPEG
image any more and completely irrecoverable.

If they pass the basic ZIP test and are commercially valuable then it
may be possible to recover and repair some of the damaged ones. But it
is impossible to say without examining original files. Drop me a line
privately with a couple of sample images if nothing else works.

Regards,
Martin Brown
!