Is USB 3.0 Required in a new case?

I'm looking into a new system, right now my case choice is the CoolerMaster HAF 922, good cooling options at a good price. Only drawback, I plan on putting an ASUS p67 motherboard in, which has USB 3.0. The case only has 2.0 slots. Is it worth it for me to try and find a case with 3.0 slots, or should i just consider using an expansion in the future?

And any suggestions on the case are also appreciated. Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about required case
  1. Personally, if I was going to buy a new case, I'd definitely look for one with the latest technology. You don't want to regret your decision later, especially if that technology is available now. I would look for a case with the front USB 3.0 or if you're set on this case then I would recommend you get a usb 3.0 bay like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997021&cm_re=usb_3.0-_-17-997-021-_-Product
  2. If you find a case you like with USB 3.0 great, but if not I would not sweat it. You can always attach USB 3.0 devices only to the rear connectors.
  3. wolfeman42 said:
    I'm looking into a new system, right now my case choice is the CoolerMaster HAF 922, good cooling options at a good price. Only drawback, I plan on putting an ASUS p67 motherboard in, which has USB 3.0. The case only has 2.0 slots. Is it worth it for me to try and find a case with 3.0 slots, or should i just consider using an expansion in the future?

And any suggestions on the case are also appreciated. Thanks

The Asus p8p67 deluxe mobo comes equipped with a front usb3 panel,
    http://s1.bild.me/bilder/110211/thumb_9393490Asus_P8P67_Deluxe_Rev_3_0.jpg

If you find a case that includes a front usb3 panel, or decide to buy one separately, make sure the motherboard you choose have the appropriate connections on it.
  4. According to Asus website, here are the p67 1155 motherboards that:

Do include a front usb3 panel support :
    - p8p67
    - p8p67 pro
    - p8p67 evo
    - p8p67deluxe (includes the front usb3 panel)
    - Sabertooth p67
    - Maximus IV Extreme

Those include 4x usb3 ports (2 mid-board for front panel support and 2 at backpanel).

Do NOT include a front usb3 panel support:
    - p8p67 LE
    - p8p67 M
    - p8p67 M pro
    - p8p67 WS Revolution

Those only include two usb3 ports at back panel.
  5. The 1st question is the do you need a USB3 today or in the future?

The 2nd question is if you need a USB3 do you need/want a USB3 connector in front of your case or you will be happy with the rear-panel usb connector?

If you want a USB3 in front panel of your case then...
    If you are to purchase a new case the answer is yes. You are already spending money for the case and USB3 should be part of it.

If you are to re-use an existing case and you need USB3 then ASUS P8P67 Deluxe mobo provides you a solution of enabling you to have a USB3 on the Front Panel of your existing case.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cooler Master Cases USB3 Components Product