Sign in with
Your question

N460GTX + GT240(Dediacted PhysX)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2010 1:58:13 PM

OK. I'm going to be using a GT240 or GTS2509just waiting for pricing) from MSI for about six months. After which I'm hoping to get a N460GTX Hawk(or something better/similar) as primary card. Will it help to use that 240 or 250 as a dedicated PhysX card? And will a Corsair GS600 Gaming Series PSU be bale to run them?

What are your thoughts on this?
November 21, 2010 2:52:24 PM

Not an option unfortunately! I have to get the GT240 now, and the GTX460 later. The reason for asking is because I don't want to waste the GT240 when I DO get the 460.

I am buying the new rig within 3 -5 days and that is not enough to get in enough money to buy a 470. Hell, I might even have to wait 4 or 5 months to get the 460(when is the release date of the 560? If it's near enough I'll wait for that).

If needs be I can try to rig up a dual PSU setup, one singularly a 450W for the GT240 and the rest for the 460. Oh and I might get a GTS250 instead(for only like $12 US more)
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 6:43:14 PM

He's asking about physX ?
Its a GOOD plan in games that use physX.

I get more performance with my 2 gtx 460's when I use 1 as a dedicated physX card in Mafia II VS running in SLI and letting physX also operate of 1 of my gpu's.
It works best with a card dedicated.
Other games could be different, thats with highest physX option enabled.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 9:23:25 PM

I would recommend a Corsair 700-750w to be sure. I do not think a 600w will do it. It might though. Go for the gt 240 and then get the gtx 460. (If you have the money get the gts 250) The gts 250 will eat the gt 240 for breakfast. :D 
November 22, 2010 3:05:02 AM

You will definitely be able to run a GTS250+GTX460 with that PSU, so a dual setup is not necessary. It will definitely give you better performance to have the GTS250 as a dedicated PhysX card, but I'm not sure about how much performance gain you will get from it, or frankly, if it is even worth it to spend the money on the card in the first place.

Just a FYI, you will not be able to SLI your two cards together, but you can use one as a dedicated PhysX, so your plan should work out just fine, just don't expect huge differences in performance.
November 22, 2010 6:29:33 AM

OK. In a way this is quite a setback! I can't get a GT240, GTS250 or GTS450. I now have a choice between GT220 or GT430. Which is best? Bith 1gb but the 220 is GDDR5 and the 430 DDR3. Which will be best?
November 22, 2010 11:59:10 AM

I ned to get something atleast slightly worthwile that has to do its job OK for 6 months! So a 210 really isn't an option unfortunately. I was to go for that at first, but...

I'm in South Africa. And it doesn't have an IGP, which is exactly why I'm asking all this. Will it really be worth rather getting a 210 and be stuck with it for 6 months??
a c 172 U Graphics card
November 22, 2010 1:07:31 PM

You better gun for something decent quick because the currency markets aren't going to hold up for much longer before the dollar goes bust and when it does it will send prices sky rocketing. If you can't land the GTX460 then try for a used if lucky GTX260 or a GTS250 and they are still good cards. I got a GTX460 my self and two G92 cards and they are good for a few years.
November 22, 2010 1:11:31 PM

No possibility of that unfortunately! Where do you live? If I'm lucky I can get a 460 new(N460GTX Hawk) within a month or two. You put it as if it's the end of the world man!
a c 172 U Graphics card
November 22, 2010 1:58:06 PM

Nope just things are getting worse if the last decade didn't suck ass enough as it did and this one won't be any different. If you can wait a month then save your cash.
November 22, 2010 2:11:54 PM

I can't. Which is the problem. A 3.0Ghz Pentium 4 and Geforce 6200(NV44a, lower version of the 6200s) just doesn't cut it anymore. I can go way down to a crapper card but that's just wasting money.

And 1 month is a REALLY hopefull situation. That wouldmean I have to find some random $380 hanging around(cost in South Africa mind you! for an MSI N460GTX Hawk. Imagine for a while living here with our economy and salaries and try buying a PC with good specs! All in all, the system costs about $830, I would have had MUCH better if I had been in the US).
a c 172 U Graphics card
November 22, 2010 2:26:51 PM

sgtdavis44 said:
I can't. Which is the problem. A 3.0Ghz Pentium 4 and Geforce 6200(NV44a, lower version of the 6200s) just doesn't cut it anymore. I can go way down to a crapper card but that's just wasting money.

And 1 month is a REALLY hopefull situation. That wouldmean I have to find some random $380 hanging around(cost in South Africa mind you! for an MSI N460GTX Hawk. Imagine for a while living here with our economy and salaries and try buying a PC with good specs! All in all, the system costs about $830, I would have had MUCH better if I had been in the US).

Don't count on it, China emp bombed a cruse liner and isn't buying US bonds. Life in the US isn't some red carpet golden chariot dream ware every thing is picture perfect. Don't mind the cavity search on your way in. I know about the conditions in SA and not happy about the genocide that is taking place there against the farmers.
November 22, 2010 2:46:16 PM

Thank goodness were not in Zimbabwe! It's worse there!

Farm killings have gone down "considerably" though. But where I live it's pretty calm. The worst I've had stolen was 2 cellphones! At school... When we lived in Pertoria our car was stolen once. Then in 2008 we were in Durban(actually Umhlanga) and for some reason this guy picked our car to ^&%# up! Smashed the window and stuff. About $10 000 worth of stuff was stolen. Why we had so much in the car is still a mystery to me though. Besides those 4 events wee never experienced crime. All in all its not so bad.

It certainly does seem so! Believe me! If US prices are expensive! The US must be the poorest country in the world! But that would be my opinion. I think Western and "Northern" countries so to say are a little overglorified but that's what you get for living in a "trhid<=Look! I can't even spell 'third' =P <= world" country!
!