Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 and changing HDD's

Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2011 4:21:29 AM

My system I'm planning on getting is more over budget than I'd like already, so I'm not willing to spend an extra $100 on an SSD right now. I was to get windows 7 OEM from Newegg for $99. If I was to install it on a WD 1TB drive now, could I uninstall it and reinstall it on the SSD when i get more money without needing another copy of win7?

(Newb in the room :)  )

More about : windows changing hdd

a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2011 9:49:43 AM

You can clone it to the SSD with a variety of available apps, then simply delete the partition/recreate/reformat on the standard drive. (No real need to uninstall, and certainly no need to buy a new Win7 package when upgradiung drives)
Score

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
January 20, 2011 11:43:36 AM

To expand on what mdd1963 said, drive cloning software (Like Acronis True Image Home) will work well. What you need to do initially though, is create a partition on the 1TB drive that is no bigger than the SSD you plan to add later, and install to that. Keep in mind that Windows 7 will also create a 100MB recovery partition, so you may wish to include space for that too.
Make sure you set your SATA ports to use AHCI mode on your initial installation.

While I believe you can re-install OEM Win7 to the SAME mobo, I'm not certain of that, as I haven't had to do it. When I re-installed an OEM copy of WinXP, I had to explain to Microsquishy that I was replacing a failed mobo (true; was a Gigabyte board), and they activated it for me.
Related resources
January 21, 2011 2:13:05 AM

So I need to pick out the size of my future SSD before I install win7, and then make a partition of that size while leaving 100mb for the win7 recovery partition?

I have a question about partitions too. If, for example, I give win7 a 60GB partition, can I save more than 60GB worth of things to my HDD before I transfer the OS to the SSD?

1 more real newb question- If I'm using an SSD, can I have just win7 and my editing programs on the SSD, and have the not very important applications, my media, and everything I work on save to a normal 7200RPM 1TB drive? That way I can get the benefits of SSD speed without paying over $1000 for 1TB.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2011 8:30:31 AM

Yes, to all.
You will partition the rest of your 1TB drive into another drive letter, and store all your data there.
Whether or not you can load any applications to that non-C: drive depends on the application; many will copy at least some of their files into directories under C:\Windows.
Score
January 21, 2011 5:19:46 PM

When I go SSD shopping in a few months, what size is recommended? I'm between 64GB and 128GB at the moment.

EDIT: I somehow misspelled go, I typed got.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2011 7:23:33 PM

I'd say minimum 80GB, especially since you won't be buying soon. You can already get 128GB for just over $200. Just make sure it uses a Sandforce controller.
Score
January 22, 2011 1:49:56 AM

Onus said:
I'd say minimum 80GB, especially since you won't be buying soon. You can already get 128GB for just over $200. Just make sure it uses a Sandforce controller.

Thanks for all your help. People like you make me jump for joy :bounce: .
Score
January 22, 2011 1:50:26 AM

Best answer selected by poor scrouge.
Score
January 22, 2011 6:17:14 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!