Sign in with
Your question

Am3 cpu heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
April 17, 2011 2:36:43 AM

Is passive cooling possible for the 45w amd 610e? (heatsink but no fan)

More about : am3 cpu heatsink

a b à CPUs
April 17, 2011 2:40:18 AM

so you just want to add thermal paste but no fan?
No.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2011 2:46:17 AM

Its depends on your environment and usage.
45W is a bit high, but if you are in an air-conditioned room with a well ventilated case, a 120mm-size tower cooler could do the trick, albeit with not so ideal temps.

But why would you want that though? Slap a quiet fan (Like something from Scythe) and you'll barely notice.
m
l
Related resources
April 17, 2011 3:12:21 AM

Timop said:
Its depends on your environment and usage.
45W is a bit high, but if you are in an air-conditioned room with a well ventilated case, a 120mm-size tower cooler could do the trick, albeit with not so ideal temps.

But why would you want that though? Slap a quiet fan (Like something from Scythe) and you'll barely notice.

What I was thinking was - Some sort of copper heat sink on the CPU (with a lot of fins), and an indepedent 10-12dB fan on an adjustable bracket blowing air on the CPU heatsink and motherboard. I've heard about the Scythe coolers too, I'll take a look at them
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2011 3:29:36 AM

mlamson said:
What I was thinking was - Some sort of copper heat sink on the CPU (with a lot of fins), and an indepedent 10-12dB fan on an adjustable bracket blowing air on the CPU heatsink and motherboard. I've heard about the Scythe coolers too, I'll take a look at them

Well if you have a fan, its really not passive. Hoe will the fan be set up though? How fa away from the heatsink would it be?
m
l
April 17, 2011 3:43:39 AM

Well, you can get a bracket that mounts inside the case (Zalman FB123 Adjustable Universal Fan Bracket) where you can adjust a fan so that it's blowing in the direction of the CPU but also directs air toward other heat sensitive areas on the MB. The fan would be maybe four inches away from the CPU heatsink. And all of this would be inside a Lian Li case with its several fans blowing air in and out.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2011 3:46:32 AM

And why would you want to do that? Its not silent since you have fans running, push/pull with a 120mm tower would yield better temps, and I doubt your Mobo needs any cooling.

An interesting idea, but unfortunately that I don't really see a point in doing this.
m
l
April 17, 2011 4:05:50 AM

True, there is other fan noise, those older Lian Li case fans could be improved. Maybe it's not such a great idea. The CPU cooler on the system I'm running now is a fairly noisy little thing, and I was just wondering about ways to keep air moving around whole system while minimizing fan noise.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2011 4:11:27 AM

If its the stock fan, then its pretty typical. It can be easily solved with a decent aftermarket cooler as 45W isn't much to begin with.
m
l
!