Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 Doesn't Boot After Cleared CMOS

Last response: in Motherboards
December 22, 2011 11:18:01 PM

So! Here's the deal, and I'm going to spill the beans feeling like a total git for what I've done.

BIOS! That thing Dad always told you not to play with. Well me being quite a bit older and out from under the wings of my parents, felt at this point in my life I could finally poke around with some of the settings. I love finding out how things work, and I guess the normal way for me to go about doing that is to break them first.
So there's the set up, here's the pitch.
I've been trying to get my graphics card to recognize this 50" Plasma via HDMI and DVI, to no avail. I decided to change the PCI settings within BIOS (because that's the only thing that would show before I got the 'No Signal' error), they were originally set to PCI X-16, I set it to Onboard.
Hit enter and rebooted. Now though, not even the BIOS would appear on screen before the No Signal error.

I read on a techblog that after messing up your BIOS and causing the black screen, a quick Clear of CMOS would solve the issue. It indeed did! I took the battery out of the motherboard and left it to sit for an hour and a half for good measure.

I reinserted the battery into the motherboard with the proper poles after my wait, and to my joy I was able to watch my computer boot up on the screen. After I reset the BIOS to default and checked to make sure the time/date settings were right, I fully booted.

It wasn't until I got to the Windows 7 loading screen though that I noticed the real problem now - the Windows logo only spins about half way through it's cycle before my whole computer reboots, giving me the blue screen. I've tried multiple times to run through Safe Mode (Networking, and Command Prompt) with the same results.
I've LKGC'd it, Restored to old settings, Disabled auto restart, and just about everything else anyone has offered up thus far in similar posts.

Curious if anyone around here can help me figure this one out! I'm actually stumped for once, and will seriously be very thankful if it can be resolved.
I swear I'll never be so dumb about my BIOS again, for as long as I live!

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2011 11:31:35 PM

Most likely the setting for your HDD has been changed. For example if windows was installed with the BIOS set to AHCI and when you did the resore defaults it changed the Bios to say SATA or Maybe IDE. when windows starts to boot it can not communicate with the HDD via bios.

Try changing the bios setting, is if set to IDE, change to ahci (or Visa versa). Need to look in MB manual for location and Options.
a c 104 V Motherboard
December 22, 2011 11:32:06 PM

No, dad was wrong -- you should attempt to fully understand your bios. No mystery, no problems.

Likely, something reset to a default that is incompatible with the OS settings. First thing I would check is the SATA mode. If it is IDE, try AHCI and the other way around.

Your issue with the 50 inch would be something best solved in monitor settings in the OS -- not in the bios. We can work on that later, for now concentrate on getting things running again.
Score
Related resources
a c 104 V Motherboard
December 22, 2011 11:34:06 PM

RetiredChief said:
Most likely the setting for your HDD has been changed. For example if windows was installed with the BIOS set to AHCI and when you did the resore defaults it changed the Bios to say SATA or Maybe IDE. when windows starts to boot it can not communicate with the HDD via bios.

Try changing the bios setting, is if set to IDE, change to ahci (or Visa versa). Need to look in MB manual for location and Options.

LOL Chief, you have obviously been there too.
Score
December 23, 2011 3:07:08 AM

Thanks to Chief and Beast, I switched from [RAID] to [IDE] and we're all good to go. System booted up and everythings running quite smooth. I do believe you're right, it's time to learn more about how and why my computer works.
Thanks again for the help.

I'd say 'Now what about getting that 50" up?", but that's for another section!
Night folks.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
March 3, 2012 8:37:29 PM

Best answer selected by nikorr.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
March 3, 2012 8:37:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!