Closed

Designated PhysX Card?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Physx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2010 4:36:07 PM

Hey, it might be a noob question but can anyone explain the Designated PhysX card concept?

More about : designated physx card

Best solution

a c 148 U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 4:47:19 PM

a dedicated physx card is a card you put in your system dedicated to calculate only physics effect in any game using nvidia physx engine. by doing so it let the main gpu to render the image only instead of rendering and calculating physics in game to improve the performance.
November 21, 2010 4:56:07 PM

Ahhhhhh i see! how would you set that up? would there be like different drivers in order for the system to recognize it as the DPhysX card?
Score
Related resources
a c 148 U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 5:02:56 PM

first you're going to need an extra PCI-E lanes for the dedicated card. for the driver need to install physx driver but normally they were bundled together with nvidia geforce drivers. from the nvidia control panel just select the card you want to act as dedicated physx card. well basically it was like that but if you're thinking about mixing ATI (AMD) with nvidia card to get the physx effect then it will be a bit complicated to make it work
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 5:04:08 PM

Not if the primary card is an Nvidia card.
Score
November 21, 2010 5:05:07 PM

Im not really thinking about it yet but ive been just looking up reviews of EVGA motherboards and they kept mentioning that you can do like a triple SLI with DPhysX so i was really wondering what it actually was and how it worked. thanks for help :) 
Score
November 21, 2010 6:32:13 PM

renz496 said:
if you're thinking about mixing ATI (AMD) with nvidia card to get the physx effect then it will be a bit complicated to make it work

Will Physx still work with a ATI card as the primary and a Nvidia card for the Physx? and if so how would you install the drivers and would there be any conflicts due to two completley different drivers.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 6:36:03 PM

andy_93 said:
Will Physx still work with a ATI card as the primary and a Nvidia card for the Physx? and if so how would you install the drivers and would there be any conflicts due to two completley different drivers.

It can be done on XP and W7 using hacked drivers because XP and W7 can run two different graphic drivers.
Score
November 21, 2010 6:43:30 PM

Hmm,might be something to look into then,i have Mafia 2 and i would like to see what the difference Physx bring to gaming.Many thanks.
Score
a c 247 U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 8:45:33 PM

andy_93 said:
Hmm,might be something to look into then,i have Mafia 2 and i would like to see what the difference Physx bring to gaming.Many thanks.

It's kinda like all those other things in life that you don't miss .... until you have experienced it. As THG's article says, once you've turned it on, (assuming your system can handle it, it's not like you'd ever turn it off.

Quote:
Turning on PhysX isn't necessary for gameplay, and you'll never miss it if you don't see the effects. However, when PhysX is enabled, it adds superlative nuances and really creates some “wow” moments. The chunky explosions, cloth effects, paper, fog, and environmental detail enhancements are very cool......

..... but I have to admit that the eye candy is a lot of fun to watch. Once you've turned it on, it's not something you'll turn off if your hardware can handle it.

To see the differences side by side, play this movie.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/batman_arkham_asylu...

For the ATI / PhysX thing read this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-physx-hack-a...

A nVidia 220 is the entry point for PhysX, you ya can often get a 240 for the same price.

What the MoBo ads you referenced are are typically talking about is that the boards have 4 GF card slots, 3 for triple SLI plus a dedicated, lower bandwidth slot, for PhysX
Score
November 22, 2010 8:10:59 PM

I watched some of the vids and a few more on YouTube and there is alot more eye candy and it just looks alot better as if some effort has been put into the games. With that said am i going to notice it while playing,i dont think so,for example playing somthing like Dirt 2,there is a option the have the crowds on high or ultra,i thought why,i am not going to be looking at the crowd while i am side ways round a hairpin lol,after some though i doubt ill go down the Physx route,just get a DX11 card instead.
Score
November 28, 2010 10:57:36 PM

Best answer selected by meddler66.
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 5:27:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!