Hard Drive not recognized

gghilliard

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I have just finished my first build. It posts fine, and I can get to the BIOS, but my hard drive is not recognized. Re-plugged everything....still not recognized.

Can anyone tell me what to do next??

1TB WD Caviar Black SATAIII
ASUS P6X58D
Corsair Dominator 6GB
Intel Core i7 950

Thanks in advance

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Is the hard drive you are using your primary drive? Your issue may be that it has not been formatted to a specific set up (like fat32 or ntfs). If this is the hard drive you intend to have your operating system on, you may need to format and reload your OS. If the drive has a preloaded copy of windows from another machine, sometimes there is an issue with the copy being proprietary to the motherboard that drive was installed with. My guess would be this is a formatting or wiring issue, but post back with a little more details on how you have your drives set up, if this is the primary drive, etc.

gghilliard

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

I have not formatted it, I intalled it right out of the box. It will be the primary drive. I have Window 7 Pro 64bit to put on it. How do I go about fomatting and installing the OS if the drive is not recognized in the BIOS?

gghilliard

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

When I boot from the window CD and try an install, there are no drives available. Can't see the HD there either. Any other suggestions?

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
if you have another computer you can try booting and formatting the drive in the other computer than installing it in your new build, if you can't try getting an external enclosure and connecting the hard drive via a usb slot. If it is still not recognized you probably have a defective drive and I would take it back and ask for a refund/ replacement.

gghilliard

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Ok. So I swithed the connection from the SATA III on my motherboard to the SATA II. Now it can see the drive, and am installing window as we speak. So, the drive is fine. Is there something I need to to with the motherboard to be able to use the SATAIII ports? I am a little baffled as to why this is happening.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
No, your drive is probably not an sata 3 drive or the connectors are not the correct type. I would double check the box and see if it says it's sata 3 compatible, it sounds like if it says it is, the wrong drive came in the box.

gghilliard

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Both drive and board are definitely SATA3