Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Just got all the parts to my pc in the mail today:
Asus x79 sabertooth
Thermaltake 850w toughpower grand
16gb gskill 2400 (11,11,11 version)
Intel 3930
Using a single 480 gtx for install
I got everything together and installed Windows with no issues whatsoever. booted it up several times before installing Windows 7 to play with the BIOS (no overclocking, just adjusting boot order). Next thing I know, I rebooted and the display didn't respond. Repeated about 20 times before swapping video cards to my other 480 gtx.
I noticed the red vga_led light was on under the video card. Ended up trying an older 9800 gtx with no luck either.
The vga light alert is preventing the mobo from posting. Reset cmos, flashed updated BIOS, still no luck. It is getting through the CPU and memory tests of the post.

Any ideas? I already got a rma # from newegg but I would like some input before I mail it back.

heyheytacotime

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Just going to follow up on the issue. I went ahead and got a rma on the mobo and the replacement fixed all of my problems. I was have a lot of problems to get the pc to boot when I first got everything together so there were probably some inherit problems with the mobo from the factory. It also wouldn't let itself get a BIOS flash now that I know what the flashing looks like. :heink:

Just saw your post. I probably would have recommended the same thing if a breadboard failed. Next week I've got the same MOBO coming in.

In general about 2% of all MOBO's fail or typically fail quickly. This has to do primarily in the shipping process, off the assembly line the MOBO's have a basic test routine but not a long burn-in.

Happens :(

footnote - I don't want to freak you out more, you've had plenty, but Intel modified the lithography on the SB-E CPU and it's being re-released on Jan 20th, 2011. Intel discovered a C state issue C1 -> C2. This affects OC'ing but it's unclear if Intel will exchange the older CPU's with the updated. Few folks like me know this. If you Google PCN111178-00 read the PDF.

heyheytacotime

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

That is a pretty vague pdf on whether they are going to replace the release sb-e's. So far, I'm having good luck getting my processor to OC to the stock Sabertooth extreme profile. I don't really need any more since I only play games on my pc. The only issue I have had is my ram to register at 2400mhz instead of 800 in windows. It shows up at 2400 in the bios but cpu-z and ai suite show 800mhz. Hopefully this is just some wierd error.

I know the SB-E litho has been changed and I know TH is writing an article about this problem. Thankfully, ASUS has been more immune to the problems. I'm hoping the BCLK OC and maybe too the temps (vCore) will go down. Try a 5GHz OC it's near impossible.

The default RAM SPD with SB-E is 800MHz or DDR3-1600 (double data rate), and if you want DDR3-2400 (1200MHz) then in the BIOS you'll need to: AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and DRAM OC Profile -> DDR3-2400 or otherwise set it manually if that's unstable. XMP works on (1) kit not if you have (2) kits.

If the XMP fails then post your exact set(s) of RAM + link and I'll post the BIOS settings.

IMO get rid of AI Suite and do everything manually instead. None of the BIOS invasive 'software' is good on any MOBO; it will conflict with you manually touching the BIOS.

F3-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD
DDR3-2400 11-11-11-31-2T @ 1.65v

First, I understand AI Suite, what it does and how it works. If I could shutdown it's evasiveness to the BIOS (writing) then I'd might use it. As it is it works against the manual BIOS settings which so far 'seems' to be your problem.

Before changing your BIOS, lets triple-check CPU-z which I trust.

The 'Memory' tab should show DRAM Frequency = (appx) 1200MHz (1200MHz * 2 = 2400MHz); this number is BCLK dependent so it varies 24 * BCLK. Look at this image in the bottom right-hand corner:

This guy is OC'ing > Rated CAS Timings, but it's the same kit and running 2450.6MHz so a BCLK of 102.1MHz:
BPitq.jpg