Windows 7 on sale!

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Lol that was wierd its all good!

i considered OEM but i want a disk that i can keep using and since im building a new system i want a disk so that i can install the OS onto my new SSD.

If u install it on one mobo, than it is tied (activated) to that mobo, but u can upgrade SSD, HDD, and other hardware any time.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Im a student w/ a student email. I just wanted to do a clean install with windows 7 since the SSD i got to run the OS only has 120gb available. I thought i read that a clean install of windows 7 OS uses around 40-50Gbs where as if i install windows xp then upgrade to windows 7 ill be using a lot more than that

is that true?

Not true.
x32 u need 16GB
x64 u need 20GB

coldest

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

do all these method works with ultimate version? my school is giving out two copy of win7 ultimate and two MS office pro for free. i believed they are upgrades and not full version since i used one to upgrade my home premium to ultimate. so if these methods work, then the next time i build a new pc, i don't have to buy the OEM version anymore and saves $100

Yes, but u need to have valid XP or Vista, so u can actually do the upgrade.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Ok so on my new rig, ill have to install windows xp, install all the drivers, install updates up to service pack 2, then buy windows 7 upgrade, download it, burn a disk w/ the boot file, then restart and boot from disk?

lol i guess thats worth the $100

ram1009

Distinguished

ram1009

Distinguished

That's not true. Either XP or Vista must be installed on the drive you're installing W7 on. Just having an old install disk isn't enough. That is if you want to do the install legitimately.

ram1009

Distinguished

Yes, I've read the article and it states very clearly that it doesn't always work and isn't supported my Microsoft. The legitimate way to do the install is from within the running older Windows version. To tell someone (without qualifications) that they can use upgrade media without owning a copy of XP or Vista is wrong because it may not work for them. I certainly would not count on it after reading the article.

tlw1999

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

ram1009

Distinguished

I did as you suggested and found nothing but misleading ads.