slowman

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Hoping some one can help me decide the best value and performance for the money upgrade.
abit ip 35 pro - vist home 64 - e2140 - 8800gt (upgrading) - corsair 620 - 4 gb mem - 27 hp monitor

Cpu is o/c now, or machine is just to slow. Home use, med gaming. The more I read the more confussed I get. Will probably order from newegg, depending on advice her and in graphics forum.
Thanks Roy

You need to set a budget. I've seen a few q6600 cpus for around $110, but they're getting harder to find used. I wouldn't spend retail on 775 without at least checking for used cpus first. Frys has the e6500 for $70 in today's ad which is a reasonable price point in your situation. I mentioned the q6600 as they have held their resale value better than any other quad, and they overclock well.

slowman

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007

Thanks for the input. wanted to do a Q6600 when built. Couldn't afford it then.
Trying to get another year or two out of it. Figured with a newer cpu and graphics card should be fine for a while. Not a real fan on used parts. I usually
take my old machines and do a clean install and give to a needy family. I figure between 200 and 350 for cpu and graphics card. Unless I o/c, this thing is a turtle.