• Homebuilt
  • Desktops
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2011 3:10:21 PM

Hi all,

Could you help me out here? I wanted to build a new desktop for myself, for gaming, and I was wondering if you could help me out a bit.
I have a fairly limited budget of $1k, that can be passed but really no more than $1,200.

Could someone who has made a computer like this lately please give me the specs and pieces? Sorry I don't know where to start in my research, I haven't been following the latest info on this subject for the past year and a half.

Thanks for any help!

G

More about : build fixed budget

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2011 5:54:43 PM

You might want to follow the guidelines from the link in my signature. We can't really help without knowing details such as when you're planning on buying, what exactly your planning on doing (gaming, but what games?), where you live (where you can buy from), what parts you already have (monitor? OS?) and such.

Here's a very limited example of what you should get (links to what won't change):

CPU: i5-2500K $225
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 $190
RAM: 2x2 GB 1600 mhz $50ish
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $65
GPU: HD 6950 $280
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750W $80
Case: Rosewill Challenger $55
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner you can find <$20

Total: $965
January 20, 2011 6:19:52 PM

Well thank you very much for the link and the parts. I will now do it correctly:

Approximate Purchase Date: Any time in the not too distant future ( < 2 months basically)

Budget Range: 1000-1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming basically. a wide variety, but nothing competitive, so a healty amount of ram, good video card, nice processor, nothing more.

Parts Not Required: need only the actual computer with the case, no screen mouse keyboard blabla

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Basically anyting. I can have it sent from europe or the US

Country of Origin: all should go to Zurich, CH

Parts Preferences: nothing too crazy, in any direction, mainstream gaming pc

Overclocking: nope

SLI or Crossfire: if within the budget, why not!

Monitor Resolution: no need for a monitor

Additional Comments: nothing really. the computer has its sole usage in gaming, i have a laptop for work

Thanks for any help, maybe the list you already sent is perfect, maybe not, I will have a look, and hope for more answeres if possible!

have a nice one
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2011 7:19:35 PM

Yeah, the list I put up there is a pretty balanced gaming PC. I did end up changing the case, but I'd just pick whatever case you like the best. I'll fill in the rest of the links.

CPU: i5-2500K $225
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 $190
RAM: G.Skill 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 9 $48
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $65
GPU: HD 6950 $270 after rebate
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750W $80
Case: HAF 922 $100
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $17

Total: $995
January 22, 2011 5:30:15 PM

Thanks so much!
!