New i5 2500k build, SSD/PSU/HSF questions

Hi everyone,

I am putting a new build together with the following components. this is my first system in a few years since a Dual core Duo 6400 OCd build.

The new system consists of:
Processor: I5 2500k
MB: Asus P8P67 Pro
Ram: 8GB - Patriot Memory Sector 5 G Series 8 GB DDR3 PC3-10666
Video Card: Dual SLI GTX 460s, 768MB ram
OS HDD: 32GB OCZ SSD (supports trim)
Program HDD: 500GV 7200rpm SATA
HSD: Corsair A70
PSU: XFX 850w black edition (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207001)
DVD burner, onboard audio, onboard nic.

So with that information, this is my first time using SSD so I had a couple of questions regarding the fresh installation of Windows 7 and using SSD along witha couple of other items.

1) With this motherboard, do I need to change any settings prior to the OS install to take full advantage of this and any other future SSD drives? I've heard of some people claiming certain things must be enabled prior to installing Windows, but can never find any solid info on what that is.

Also are there any specific Windows settings to change to take full advantage of the SSD drive? I've seen huge threads and tried to sort through them, but never any real conclusive settings that are proven to help normal-use performance.

2) I'm not 100% set on the PSU. I know the one I've chosen is really good, but it may be too good?
Are there any other recommendations for a better suited PSU for my build that are sub $100? Preferable sub $80?

3) I won't have the Corsair a70 HSF right away. So I was planning on putting on the stock cooler and in a week putting on the A70. Does anyone know if the A70 requires the removal of the motherboard to install?

Thanks for the help!
6 answers Last reply
More about 2500k build questions
  1. Quote:
    1)
    the boot order on the mobo, that is it...

Quote:
    OS HDD: 32GB OCZ SSD (supports trim)
    Get a bigger SSD, you won't regret it... 60 gigs and you can fit just about all the games you want/need.. also, make sure you get a Sandforce SSD.
    Quote:
    2) I'm not 100% set on the PSU. I know the one I've chosen is really good, but it may be too good?
    Are there any other recommendations for a better suited PSU for my build that are sub $100? Preferable sub $80?
    you can always use a large PSU, it lets you futureproof/upgrade.... if you are hitting the limit in your budget 700 watts is were you want to go.
    Quote:
    3)
    noooo clue!
    Quote:
    Ram: 8GB - Patriot Memory Sector 5 G Series 8 GB DDR3 PC3-10666
    I'd go for 4 gigs of g.skill 1600 mhz ram... you don't need 8 gigs unless you are doing video editing...
  2. I hope to get a bigger SSD in the future, but this one was only $40 after rebate and I'm still waiting for larger ones to come down in price.
  3. I now have a new question!

I just bought Thermaltake Armor LCS case from a friend.(http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1309&ID=1410)

This has a water cooler built in. I would only be cooling the CPU itself with this.

Does anyone know if this would do better than the the following HSFs?
    Thermal right Ultra 120 Extreme or Corsair A70?

Thanks!
  4. http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore

Well all my recs are in the guide. But as for more recommendations 6850 in CF are a bit better than the SLI 460's course I don't know what games your playing but generally CF 6850's perform better than 460's.

I would return that LCS kit, it is real LCS that is true, but I don't generally trust pre-built LCS, IE the LCS Armor. Your better off learning how to water cool yourself and making a custom loop. If you don't want to take the chance then I suggest going with the Thermalright Venomous X or the Prolimatech Megahalems OR the Hyper 212+ (the best cheap option). LCS requires a lot of upkeep as well as cleaning. Pre-made coolant has a history of grime getting on the block. It's more like gunk than grime.
  5. Thanks but I picked up the 460s for around $60/each after rebates. (3 rebates each, ouch, but I don't mind)

The LCS is from a friend, and even if not used for this build, I'll find another use for it.
    But since I do have it, do you know how it would compare to the top air coolers?
  6. I don't exactly know, I know the H50 only compares to the Megahalems or Venomous X, while the H70 compares to something like a NH14-SE2 or something along the lines of high end pricing.

As for the case, you could just install the fans from the rad to the top of the cause and uninstall the pump and rad and just use the case as a regular case.

I defiantly don't recommend the H70 as the pricing is just stupid. Your better of getting a Hyper 212+ for the H70's price/performance ratio.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build SSD Systems