System worked but now there is no signal to monitor.

Hello, I took apart a working system to clean it and put it back together. The tower seems to be working fine, but now the monitor says no signal. There are no beeps from the bios. The fans are working. Power supply is working. It's not the cable or the video card, because I tried three different video cards. I definitely grounded myself when I put it back together, so I'm pretty damn sure it's not the mobo. Though the CD drive is not working, and I'm not sure if the HD's are running, now that I think about it. Please help?
14 answers Last reply
More about system worked signal monitor
  1. Fans working does not mean the PSU is 'working', it only means the PSU is at least 'partially' on...

Problem could easily still be the PSU....
  2. Double check the 4/8 pin CPU power is plugged in tight.
  3. I honestly don't believe it's the PSU. Since I borrowed the PSU out of my other system and was still having the same problem occur. I performed all but one of the steps here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems with no luck, but I will attempt to reset the CMOS?
  4. aford10 said:
    Double check the 4/8 pin CPU power is plugged in tight.

Yeah, it is.
  5. Can you post your system specs please... it will make it easier to guess what is going on.
  6. Start with the basics. Connect the CPU/HSF, PSU, power switch, and 1 RAM chip. Everything else can be unplugged. Do you hear the POST beep (assuming you have a motherboard speaker)?

If yes, continue to connect hardware, until it stops POSTing.
  7. aford10 said:
    Start with the basics. Connect the CPU/HSF, PSU, power switch, and 1 RAM chip. Everything else can be unplugged. Do you hear the POST beep (assuming you have a motherboard speaker)?

If yes, continue to connect hardware, until it stops POSTing.

I will give it a try.
  8. any extra case fans or other cooling parts and is the hd sata or ide? Have you overlocked anything? Other drives including dvd, bluray, etc. Be as specific as possible so we can rule out an under powered psu
  9. The case has 2 giant fans, the side fan is 36mm. I forgot what the CPU heat sink is. It was purchased like 2 years ago. The HD is SATA. The DVD drive is a Samsung super write master DVD writer SH-S223: http://www.buyregalo.com/products/Samsung-SH%252dS223-22x-Super%252dWriteMaster%E2%84%A2-DVD%252dWriter.html.
  10. That's a poopy PSU. Hopefully it didn't lose a rail, taking other parts with it.
  11. Jtt283 - seeing how my exhusband chose the hardware, the crappy PSU doesn't surprise me, but everything was working fine before I took the system a part. I'm hoping that taking afords advice will fix it.
  12. Onus said:
    That's a poopy PSU. Hopefully it didn't lose a rail, taking other parts with it.

does it even have more than one rail?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Graphics Cards Monitors Systems Product