Do I need to upgrade?

brad1138

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
My computer is an Athlon 3200+ with 2 gigs mem, and Nvidia 7600gs video card (with current drivers). I dual boot XP and Ubuntu. I know it isn't real current, but it works well for just about everything. I don't play any newer games on it that would tax it (have PS3 for that).

My problem is when I try to play videos, mainly the 3gp HD videos from my Droid, in XP it stutters badly. QuickTime is the only program I have installed that will (try to) play 3gp files. In Ubuntu, they play much better, not perfect, but good enough.

I would think my comp would be fast enough to run these w/o trouble. The computer is clean, at idle after boot it only uses about 250 meg mem. I use Avast antivirus. I do all standard maintenance.

Any thoughts?
Brad

brad1138

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
"THe pc that you hold right now is actually the best cpu the board will hold."

I think you looked up the socket A (462) 3200+. My motherboard is an Asus A8V http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_939/A8V/ it will handle up to a 4600x2 dual core processor.

you may be better off investing in a 8400gt or other video card that can play hd movies. they are relatively cheap. as for the cpu i wouldn't really bother trying to upgrade it as the price of a single core athlon far exceeds its value, because they dont make them any more.
you could considder a dual core athlon but the 1s that fit on a 939 socket are again hard to find so over priced.
adding the dx10 vidoe card should solve your playback issues, so you may not need to upgrade your cpu if you just want it for web surfing and media.

kurt_11

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

I am not familiar with it, but I guess reading this discussion gives me the idea.