Is my CPU too hot?

patricksmin

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hello everyone. My computer has not been running as expected ever since I first bought it and have been trying to figure out what was the problem for the past year or so but have come up with no solutions. I had some theories so I wanted to ask you all some questions as I have very limited knowledge of these things.

My CPU is a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80580Q8300.

I went into the bios and it told me the CPU temperature was 83 degrees celsius. That seemed very high... so I looked online and there were some people who recommended a software to see your CPU, GPU, etc. temperatures. It was SpeedFan. So I installed it and the temperatures I get are the following:

GPU: 54C
Core 0: 67C
Core 1: 62C
Core 2: 65C
Core 3: 64C

Again, I'm not really sure what temperature is too high and what is normal so if you could please explain this to me I would very much appreciate it.

Also, I know this should be posted on another forum but I was trying to update my bios for my motherboard and could not figure out how to. My motherboard is a Gigabyte X48-DQ6 and I found the new F8D version but do not know how to update it.

Your help is always much appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
The 212+ is perfect for you.
Add a 120mm front intake fan for optimal cooling.
I assume you have a 140mm top exhaust and a 120mm rear exhaust.

patricksmin

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I've tried downloading both programs, but I am pretty much lost as to what I am supposed to do with them...

The temperatures I showed above are when I was doing nothing but the SpeedFan program. Once I started running a game (Left4Dead2), the temperatures shot up to mid 90's...

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Then yes, that's too hot...

I'm assuming you're probably using the stock intel cooler? I'd open up your case and give it a really good cleaning with compressed air. Your fan on your heat sink has probably knit itself a wool jacket. I'd also check to make sure it's making good contact and all the retention pins are in place for the heat sink.

That will depend on your case width.
If it's 7.5" wide and over the CM Hyper 212+ is the most cost effective.
More important though is your case airflow.
You want at least a front intake and a rear exhaust fan,preferably 120mm both fans.

patricksmin

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Okay. My case is:

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I already have 2 fans running.

patricksmin

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks a bunch. I will post again once I have installed that onto my computer. Thanks again!

patricksmin

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I just installed the CM Hyper 212+ and my computer is working... GREAT!
Thank you so much for all the help. I can't believe that it was the temperature that was the problem...

Anyways thank you!

TRENDING THREADS