VPA and PCC in DOSEMU

alex

When i run VPA or PCC in dosemu its doesnt work, both stops when
"reading messages", anyone knows whats happend?

I am running Debian Sarge

Thanks in advance
Alex

Op 2005-08-26, Alex schreef <alex2005.uy@gmail.com>:
> When i run VPA or PCC in dosemu its doesnt work, both stops when
> "reading messages", anyone knows whats happend?

I came across that once with VPA. I don't remember what caused that.
Maybe something went wrong in a specific game. You could try starting
vpa/pcc on a fresh game that you host yourself and see if this happens
there as well. Then you may want to update vpa/pcc. I have vpa
3.62c, which should be the latest.

For vpa you can try starting it with the '/M' command line option so
it will process the messages anew. Or maybe '/O' (that's capital O)
for reading only the data of the current race could help.

> I am running Debian Sarge

Same here, without trouble. Mind you, I'm using xdosemu now, though
that shouldn't really matter.

"The question of whether computers can think is like the question of
whether submarines can swim." - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Maurits van Rees wrote:
> Op 2005-08-26, Alex schreef <alex2005.uy@gmail.com>:
>>When i run VPA or PCC in dosemu its doesnt work, both stops when
>>"reading messages", anyone knows whats happend?

JFTR: PCC doesn't say "reading messages". So where does it stop?

> I came across that once with VPA. I don't remember what caused that.
> Maybe something went wrong in a specific game. You could try starting
> vpa/pcc on a fresh game that you host yourself and see if this happens
> there as well. Then you may want to update vpa/pcc. I have vpa
> 3.62c, which should be the latest.

Check what file system your game is on, and check the permissions. I
recently had the problem that my game directory was marked read-only on
a FAT partition. This doesn't hurt when you play under Windows (if a
directory is read-only in Windows, it means you cannot delete the
directory). But it prevents Linux programs from creating files (under
Linux, read-only means you cannot create/rename/delete files inside the
directory).

You could also trace dosemu to see what it is trying to do. Start DOSEMU
("xdosemu &"), find out its pid ("ps x | grep dosemu.bin"), and attach
to it using strace:
strace -eopen -esignal=none -p PID_OF_DOSEMU
^ ^
| This means you do not want to see signals.
| DOSEMU gets lots of them.
This means you want to see only when DOSEMU tries to open a file.

>>I am running Debian Sarge
>
> Same here, without trouble. Mind you, I'm using xdosemu now, though
> that shouldn't really matter.

Same here, but I'm using Debian Woody.

Stefan

alex

PCC crash whenit load wihtout any advice.

I am running the program with root privileges in a EXT3 partition, with
all permision for root

Thanks

alex

OK. OK I did it, xdosemu works fine

I still dont understanding why dosemu in text mode deosnt work but....
i will not care about it because i solve the trouble using xdosemu

Thanks all for the advices

Alex

PD: Stephan, how are your work in PCCII?

Alex wrote:
> OK. OK I did it, xdosemu works fine
>
> I still dont understanding why dosemu in text mode deosnt work

That's simple.

When you run DOSEMU in "text mode", the program talks directly to your
graphics card. Or, it thinks it does. DOSEMU sits between the two and
observes. This is a bit tricky because DOSEMU must know how to legally
talk to the graphics card. You do not want a program inside DOSEMU to
talk to your hard disk instead and format it, do you? So you must
configure DOSEMU to support your graphics board: what kind of chipset it
has, how much memory it has, where that memory is, etc.

The advantage is that you can build on that. Maybe not for graphics
cards, but if DOSEMU knows how to let a program talk to the parallel
port, you can let a program inside DOSEMU talk to hardware attached to
the parallel port. A card reader, a zip drive, or a D/A converter, maybe.

With xdosemu, the program talks to DOSEMU itself, so DOSEMU can make up
the rules. That's much easier to implement, and it doesn't need
configuration.

> PD: Stephan, how are your work in PCCII?

I see no Stephan here :) Otherwise, PCC II is still at the same stage as
it was a few months ago. I've played on other areas of the project. And
before I do a new PCC release, I still have a PHost 4.0-hmmm (I think
'k' is next?) on the queue.

Stefan