Sign in with
Your question

Video Problems Need help or advice plz!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2010 4:31:20 AM

I have a Toshiba satellite L305D Laptop. When i turn it on there is no video, or should i say just a blank black screen.....all i hear is the fan, and believe the hdd is not booting up either. would anyone have any idea as to what might be wrong? I tried an external monitor, and that still doesn't give me a screen either....thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to offer me some advice or help!!
November 22, 2010 5:54:30 AM

The Laptop's not booting all together....
Get it serviced and checked by a techie....
m
l
November 22, 2010 6:52:05 AM

does it sound like it could be the mobo? i have replaced the hard drive and new windows on it just a month ago, and everything was working perfect....then one day i turned it on, and it just didn't come on except for what i listed above...thanks!
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2010 7:34:36 AM

Yes it does sound like a mobo problem, but that doesn't mean you need to go out straight and buy one.....
It's better to troubleshoot with less costly alternatives....
m
l
November 23, 2010 11:33:33 PM

that's what i was thinking as well....how would i troubleshoot the mobo? i have individually removed things one by one, such as the hard drive, dvd-rom, memory, battery, etc....any suggestions? btw...thanks so much!
m
l
November 24, 2010 2:51:20 AM

You've got everything out....... you don't need a techie I guess, but the next alternative is going to be the toughest, you need to get the mobo off the base and clean it with Iso Propyle check all contacts, if you can get your hands on some thermal tape and thermal paste, clean and replace it off the processor and the video chip .
They lie under the biggest heatsink on the board.....
Also since you need to get the heatsink off, I'd suggest a quick use of the compressed air can on the vents, fans and fins of the heatsink.... to get rid of all the dust....
The contact wires on the mobo leading to the keyboard, lcd and orther stuff are all going to be ribbon flat wires, be very careful while plugging them in or taking them out, make sure you lock each retention clip with the wires properly inserted in each clip....
then give it a try....
m
l
November 25, 2010 1:28:16 AM

thanks so much! i'm gonna give it a try and will def let u know....i have everything u listed above, except for the iso propyle....can i just use rubbing alcohol maybe?
m
l
November 25, 2010 3:52:24 AM

I think so, but just don't rub too hard :) 
m
l
!