Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia geforce 210 vs ati HD4350

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2010 6:54:13 AM

I'd like to upgrade my HTPC setup with a graphics card with an HDMI port.
In addition, my HTPS software (boxee) can offload graphic computations to capable cards.

I need a silent card - no fan.
My selection ran down to the nvidia 210 and the HD4350. Both have silent cards with HDMI port.

The use is pure HTPC - video. Absolutely no gaming - for that I have a gaming rig.

I read that some HD4350 has Avivo capability - which is specific to video playback. Does the 210 has something similar?

What else should be the criteria to make the selection? What would you recommend?

November 22, 2010 11:26:21 AM

Hey dbbd,
Here is the general comparison:
................................................................................................................
Specifications:
(First are of GT 210 whereas second are of HD 4350).
................................................................................................................
Texture Mapping Units: 8 . 8
Render Output Units: 4 . 4
Bus Type: DDR3 . DDR2
Bus Width: 64-bit . 64-bit
DirectX Version: DirectX 10.1 . DirectX 10.1
OpenGL Version: OpenGL 3.2 . OpenGL 3.0
Power Consumption: 31 watts . 22 watts
Shader Model: 4.1 . 4.1
Bandwidth: 6400 MB/sec . 8000 MB/sec
Texel Rate : 4712 Mtexels/sec . 4600 Mtexels/sec
Pixel Rate : 2356 Mpixels/sec . 2300 Mpixels/sec
Bus PCIe 2.0 . PCIe 2.0
Core Speed 589 MHz . 575 MHz
These both cards are recommended for HD videos.
These both are very poor graphic cards for gaming but u have made it clear that u r not going to use them for gaming.
Compare their prices and then select.
Best of luck.
November 22, 2010 11:39:15 AM

Thanks for the specs comparison.

I read that the HD5450 is the holy grail of HTPC graphics adapters. Prices about the same (with 512MB) but with added features specific to video playback (avivo and other staff about direct passing of HD video). I think this is what I'll end picking up.
Related resources
November 22, 2010 11:54:22 AM

dbbd said:
Thanks for the specs comparison.

I read that the HD5450 is the holy grail of HTPC graphics adapters. Prices about the same (with 512MB) but with added features specific to video playback (avivo and other staff about direct passing of HD video). I think this is what I'll end picking up.

Best of luck buddy.
November 23, 2010 5:52:34 AM

Yes, I think so. Since I go no other feedback, it sounds like the best fit for a strictly HTPC rig.
a c 358 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 6:05:25 AM

Based on the following article, the HD 5450 is better than the GT 210 when looking at DVD and Blu-Ray video quality scores.

The Kings of Multimedia Playback: Contemporary HTPC Graphics Cards Reviewed
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/htpc-gra...

Generally speaking, the score shows that overall ATI performs better than nVidia. After a certain point, video quality becomes subjective though. The HD 55xx is best bang for the buck scoring higher than the HD 5450, but it does cost a little more. The HD 46xx series performs better than the HD 5450 as well, but not as well as the HD 55xx series especially in Blu-Ray quality.

November 23, 2010 6:30:25 AM

Thanks, that's a great article.
What I took from it is:
1. DVD/BlueRay quality is better with better cards - interesting, but I do neither on my HTPC (I have not seen a DVD in more than 2 years, and I have never seen a BlueRay yet ;) 
2. better cards == higher power consumption == more heat
3. The 5450, while not the best, is pretty good in video quality.

My conclusion is that since the 5450 costs half of the next HD, and consumes much less power,
it fits my needs best. (my HTPC box is stuck inside a cabinet - heat dissipation is a big issue).
It will most likely be a huge improvement over the GMA3000 I have now.
November 23, 2010 12:08:55 PM

HD5550 is double the cost of HD5450, but the benefits for HTPC are not doubled.

So I'm sticking with the HD5450
!