Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Did I break my CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2011 2:11:17 AM

I was installing my CPU. Being to careful and not wanting to damage the socket pins, I dropped it from about half a cm away from the socket. However, it did not align itself right and was off centre. So I picked it back up and in that process I accidentally brushed one of the socket pins. When I got the CPU aligned, I closed the hatch (intel CPU) and while closing:
1. It was extremely hard to close the lever hatch
2. While closing, I heard a slight crackling (pins bending? :(  or lever hatch crackling)

So I'm a bit worried right now. Now that I've already installed the CPU cooler, I don't want to do it again.
Can someone tell me what I just did?

More about : break cpu

a b à CPUs
April 18, 2011 2:19:51 AM

Nutmegman said:
I was installing my CPU. Being to careful and not wanting to damage the socket pins, I dropped it from about half a cm away from the socket. However, it did not align itself right and was off centre. So I picked it back up and in that process I accidentally brushed one of the socket pins. When I got the CPU aligned, I closed the hatch (intel CPU) and while closing:
2. While closing, I heard a slight crackling (pins bending? :(  or lever hatch crackling)

So I'm a bit worried right now. Now that I've already installed the CPU cooler, I don't want to do it again.

What is your cpu and socket type?

LGA Land Grid Array as explained in more detail by Wikipedia. If one of the pins would have bent itself more likely your mobo would have been damaged because the pins are located on the mobo itself.However i want to make sure that your cpu is a LGA cpu.please give us more information of your current setup.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2011 2:22:46 AM

Nutmegman said:

But also to make sure, are you sure your pc cant boot at all?Or you just heard some cracking sound and think the pins are damaged?I still think you should at least try to boot just to see if your mobo is damaged.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 18, 2011 2:33:37 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
What is your cpu and socket type?

LGA Land Grid Array as explained in more detail by Wikipedia. If one of the pins would have bent itself more likely your mobo would have been damaged because the pins are located on the mobo itself.However i want to make sure that your cpu is a LGA cpu.please give us more information of your current setup.

my CPU is 1155 and a GB mobo UD3R B3 revised.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2011 2:36:40 AM

Nutmegman said:
my CPU is 1155 and a GB mobo UD3R B3 revised.

Have you actually tried to boot your pc?
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:17:57 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
Have you actually tried to boot your pc?

not yet :p  hope it will work though
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2011 3:26:55 AM

Nutmegman said:
not yet :p  hope it will work though

First boot your computer then if at booting has occurred a problem then we can be most suspicious that it is the mobo or the cpu.Most likely the mobo.
m
l
April 18, 2011 6:59:36 AM

Doesn't sound like you did anything bad to me. CPU's are not made of rice paper. They are fairly durable...
m
l
April 18, 2011 8:58:28 AM

Nutmegman said:

hey whats your socket type? give it a try booting! ahaha if it boots ok its fine!
m
l

Best solution

April 18, 2011 5:55:56 PM

Dude, your CPU is FINE. I was the same when I built my first rig, I never expected the CPU to need so much force. And the crackling sound?? Forget about it- I was convinced I broke the CPU into ten pieces :p 
And then... it booted!
April 19, 2011 4:39:08 AM

Best answer selected by nutmegman.
m
l
April 19, 2011 4:40:35 AM

Booted up just fine, except I'm having troubles with my GPU not being detected. SIW.exe says it is a random stream of numbers and letters. Even nVidia drivers can't find compatible hardware.
m
l
!