Cleaning up after metalwork

loosley

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I often do metalwork in my basement. This means that little shards of metal fall on the floor. Some may even land on my clothes. I am about to start building a new PC. I am concerned that little metal shards may fall into my new PC and short something out, and so here are the precautions I am taking:

- I change my clothes and wash my hands after doing any metalwork.
- I wash my let's say "metal contaminated clothes" (in the same wash with regular clothes, towels, etc.)

1) Do you think that these precautions are sufficient?
2) Do you think I should be worried that metal could be transferred from one item of clothing to another in the wash, and then end up in my PC?

Thank you!

I doubt anything will end up in your pc..
However i'm in the HVAC trade and i never wash my work clothes with other laundry.
Don't mean to be an alarmist but guys have died in my trade from cuts or metal shards entering their body unbeknownst to them.
Enters the blood stream and or causes untreatable infections.

loosley

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, now I am really freaking out. I wash all of my clothes together with clothes from the rest of my family. If I had to rewash everything it would be a nightmare!

In my case, most of the metal bits/shards fall off from dumbbells that I use when working out. The only metalwork I do is just bending a couple pieces of pipe here and there.

Do you think I need to rewash everything?

I think in your case you have nothing to worry about.
I was under the impression you were doing some heavy metal work.
In my case i cut and grind iron pipe,work with ducting,and all types of metals on a regular basis.And nasty solvents and lubricants to cut them.
Don't worry about it.