external WIFI antenna for laptop?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 12:30:33 PM

I have an 1/8" jack (similar to a headphone jack) on the back of my
laptop next to my WIFI on/off switch that has an antenna symbol. I am
assuming that there are external antennas that I can plug in to help me
pull in weak WIFI signals.
This would be helpfull when finding random wifi networks when using my
laptop in my car. Can anyone recommend a specific one that works well?
I can not seem to find such an antenna.
Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 1:09:18 PM

On 6 Mar 2005 09:30:33 -0800, piclistguy@yahoo.com wrote:

>I have an 1/8" jack (similar to a headphone jack) on the back of my
>laptop next to my WIFI on/off switch that has an antenna symbol. I am
>assuming that there are external antennas that I can plug in to help me
>pull in weak WIFI signals.
>This would be helpfull when finding random wifi networks when using my
>laptop in my car. Can anyone recommend a specific one that works well?
>I can not seem to find such an antenna.
>Thanks

eBay.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 1:34:26 PM

piclistguy@yahoo.com wrote:

> I have an 1/8" jack (similar to a headphone jack) on the back of my
> laptop next to my WIFI on/off switch that has an antenna symbol. I am
> assuming that there are external antennas that I can plug in to help me
> pull in weak WIFI signals.
> This would be helpfull when finding random wifi networks when using my
> laptop in my car. Can anyone recommend a specific one that works well?
> I can not seem to find such an antenna.
> Thanks

What brand/model laptop?

Most laptops, with internal WiFi cards, also have internal antennas.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 10:04:38 PM

piclistguy@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have an 1/8" jack (similar to a headphone jack) on the back of my
> laptop next to my WIFI on/off switch that has an antenna symbol. I am
> assuming that there are external antennas that I can plug in to help me
> pull in weak WIFI signals.
> This would be helpfull when finding random wifi networks when using my
> laptop in my car. Can anyone recommend a specific one that works well?
> I can not seem to find such an antenna.
> Thanks

There are some commercially-available antennas for specific cards and
connectors. You should check with your laptop manufacturer.

Also you should consider making an antenna of your own. A regular
tin can happens to be a good antenna candidate. Homemade "cantennas"
are easy and cheap to make:

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Click the "Homebrew WiFi Antenna Shootout" to see results of
several different designs, tested about a quarter-mile away
from a normal Linksys access point. Note, these are directional
antennas that need to be pointed at the WiFi source.

Some entrepreneurial folks sell pre-made ones at cantenna.com. They
also sell adapters to fit several different kinds of connectors.
!