Sign in with
Your question

Win XP see's my network but wont connect

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
September 21, 2010 3:10:39 AM

Hello,

I have an old toshiba laptop running xp pro. 2002 SP3, it works fine but the integrated wifi card burned out years ago so i have a linksys wireless-g notebook adapter (Model: WPC54G ver.4). So all the drivers for the linksys card are up to date and it sees my network and i put the password for my WPA then it says Automatic above the signal bars, where usually u hit connect and it says aquiring network... then connected. Well.. mine doesnt do that, it just stays on automatic and doesnt change no matter what i do. I would reallyyy like to get this to work so any help would be very much appreciated
Anonymous
September 21, 2010 9:12:34 AM

In the router setup screens, try turning off wireless security temporarily and check wireless mode and look for something called like Access List (its function is to include or exclude users by their adapter's unique MAC ID) and disable that.

m
l
Anonymous
September 21, 2010 7:27:13 PM

im not sure what u mean/dont know how to do that, ive tried turning off my firewall competly, but im pretty sure that not what u meant. could u explain a little bit more please?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
September 21, 2010 9:36:48 PM

Have a look at the literature which came with the router or download the manual from the maker's website. These should help you access the setup screens via your web browser once the computer is connected to the router by ethernet cable (usually one in the carton the router came in).
m
l
Anonymous
September 21, 2010 9:54:43 PM

would this still be the case even if this is the only computer in my house that does this, and its not only my router, its ever network i try to connect to
m
l
Anonymous
September 21, 2010 9:58:37 PM

No. Maybe I missed it in your original post but I wasn't aware that the laptop had problems with other routers -- nor that the other computers in the house work with your router.

So, the likely culprit is the laptop, specifically that the new wireless adapter isn't working properly with Windows. Check that the original wireless adapter has been removed from the BIOS and from Windows Device Manager.
m
l
Anonymous
September 21, 2010 10:09:58 PM

sorry, i forgot to include that in my original post, i would check the bios but with this particular version of toshiba u cant access the bios, i forget why. the laptop is a Satelite 5205-S503. but u suspect the wireless card is the problem? the weird thing is it used towork sorta, like when i first would boot up itd show it being automatic like in my first post, but if i tried to connect to it then hit cancel it would refresh and it would be manual instead of automatic and would let me connect, now it wont change off automatic
m
l
Anonymous
September 21, 2010 10:17:59 PM

If the laptop has two levels of PCMCIA slot try the other one -- sometimes they have different specs (32bit or 16bit ?).
m
l
Anonymous
September 21, 2010 11:35:51 PM

nope, only one slot. would u say its the card messin up? or the laptop itself?
m
l
Anonymous
September 22, 2010 8:52:18 AM

Most laptops have (had ?) space for two cards -- one on top of the other. It's easy to check by staring down the slot.

If not, inevitably, it may be either the card or the laptop at fault. Only way to test is to try another laptop or another card !

But I think my money is on a problem remaining from the previous wireless adapter -- perhaps in the BIOS or Registry.
m
l
!