Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 installation troubles

Last response: in Windows 7
November 23, 2011 1:01:46 AM

I have an older XP system that was starting to act up, so I reloaded Windows XP on it. After fighting with it to get drivers to install, I gave up and decided to finally upgrade this to Windows 7 using the factory-loaded disc that I recently purchased in a local store. Here's where the fun begins...

Specs, as best I can recall (I built it approx 5 years ago), are:
Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 motherboard; onboard audio
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, 3.0 GHz
4x1 GB sticks of Corsair RAM DDR2 667
Sapphire ATI Radeon x1600 or X1950
2x500 GB SATA Seagate HDDs
PATA DVD burner
RealPower 550W PSU
Single CTR monitor @ 1792x1344 resolution

There are two main problems I am having. First, starting up the install is REALLY slow. It takes probably 10-15 minutes to get from POST to the language selection screen (I just have the windows background and mouse), and well over an hour to get through the "Setup is starting" screen. I know my system is a bit old, but I also know it is not that old that it should take this long.

The second problem I have is that once it finally gets to the point where I can start the install process, it gives me an error along the lines of "The DVD driver was not recognized." I will reply with the actual error message whenever the computer gets past the "Setup is starting..." page, which could be a while (hence why I'm not providing the exact wording at this time). What gets me is that it obviously recognized the DVD drive enough to start loading the documents...

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to get past this? If I could speed up the initial process, it would REALLY help in troubleshooting the later issue.

I have read some other forum posts, which included trying to disable Floppy related things in BIOS (didn't work), reset the battery on the mobo (didn't work), and install the mobo drivers after you get to the error message (working on that step on this go-round).
My Dad also suggested I try a SATA blu-ray player that I have in another machine, which will be my next attempt.

Any advice would be great.
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2011 2:34:19 AM

Yea try a new burner... you don't have to go all out and use a blue-ray burner... but it should be fine.. these Pata burners are quite trouble-sum
m
l
November 23, 2011 3:03:04 AM

It's the only other optical drive I have :p 
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2011 6:29:52 AM

Well, using the SATA blu-ray, the disc seems to be working. I get through pages in seconds that were taking hours on the PATA DVD. However, I've run into a new problem...

At around 12% of "Expanding Windows Files", the installation crashes. When I was installing the OS on Disk 0, I would get an error message either stating that there was a critical error, or that the files had become corrupted. When I installed on Disk 1 (the 100 MB system partition was created on Disk 0 in this scenario), it would blue screen on me at about 13% through "Expanding Windows Files".

I was thinking my next course of action would be to try each hard drive by itself (as both are identical in hardware, I'm not sure which is Disk 0 or Disk 1), and to swap out RAM (I currently only have 2 GB hooked up, was going to swap for the other 2). If that doesn't work, should I try returning the disk?

I have two trains of thought on this: either it's a hardware issue, caused by my system being old, used, and abused. I spend a lot of time playing video games, and the system is now used by my friend who...spends more time playing video games than I do. It is rarely turned off, and routine maintenance is far from routine. I bought these parts 5 years ago and have been using it like this ever since. So it's easily possible something went bad...however I think different parts would wear out in different places, so if it happens at the same time I'd assume it's a software issue. That's my other train of thought - that the factory disc was a lemon, and the file is corrupted on the disc. This is why I'm thinking just returning the disc and getting a different copy may be a better answer.

Sorry if that's a wall of text, but this is really frustrating (been at it for 4 days with this one already) and I'm trying to vent along with find a possible solution. Any help would be much appreciated.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2011 8:46:23 PM

Ohhk So,

"When I installed on Disk 1 (the 100 MB system partition was created on Disk 0 in this scenario)"

That's your hidden boot information that is not installing properly because it's probably running to the other depending on what hdd format you are running, I would run a hyrens boot cd... completely wipe the dive of all data and load the OS on again with the better optical drive... that should work :D 

HyrEns Boot CD:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
m
l
!