Is this too hot for a Pentium D

kellyctv

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I have an older machine that I'm using for a HTPC, but the cpu fan was running at full all the time and it was way too loud. It's an old Pentium D 830 3.00ghz, in an alien ware desktop. at a full load the temps were around 60 degrees C and at min load about 46 or 47 degrees. I went into the bios and enabled fan control and it's much quieter now, but the temps at a min load are around 60 degrees and at a max load top out at around 70 Degrees. I found something on Intel's site that says the tcase temp for the Pentium D is 69.8 C But I don;t really know what that means. Is this a safe temp to run at?

Thanks.

Solution

Yes blowing of the fins of the cooler and cleaning the fan blades is what I do on regular intervals. I usually remove the fan, if possible, and use compressed air to blow out the fins. If the fan is not easily removable don't let it spin around, hold it with a finger while blowing, since it can damage the bearing.
If its old, have you renewed the thermal paste.

My P-D 840 idles at 26c and tops out at 50c on full load with a average 3rd party cooler and decent case airflow, stock Intels are crap.

Also, does the case come with intake/outake fans, if not get a couple of quiet ones.

kellyctv

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

I haven't yet. Is it just blowing off the fins of the heat sink, or is it more involved than that?

kellyctv

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

I have both intake and outtake fans, i'm not sure if it's a stock intel fan or not, I got it for free about a year ago.

Yes blowing of the fins of the cooler and cleaning the fan blades is what I do on regular intervals. I usually remove the fan, if possible, and use compressed air to blow out the fins. If the fan is not easily removable don't let it spin around, hold it with a finger while blowing, since it can damage the bearing.

Solution