Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this too hot for a Pentium D

Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2011 4:29:11 AM

I have an older machine that I'm using for a HTPC, but the cpu fan was running at full all the time and it was way too loud. It's an old Pentium D 830 3.00ghz, in an alien ware desktop. at a full load the temps were around 60 degrees C and at min load about 46 or 47 degrees. I went into the bios and enabled fan control and it's much quieter now, but the temps at a min load are around 60 degrees and at a max load top out at around 70 Degrees. I found something on Intel's site that says the tcase temp for the Pentium D is 69.8 C But I don;t really know what that means. Is this a safe temp to run at?

Thanks.

More about : hot pentium

a c 900 à CPUs
April 18, 2011 6:20:26 AM

My first question is have you cleaned the cooler? Temperature should not exceed Tcase in normal operation!
m
l
a c 106 à CPUs
April 18, 2011 1:35:31 PM

If its old, have you renewed the thermal paste.

My P-D 840 idles at 26c and tops out at 50c on full load with a average 3rd party cooler and decent case airflow, stock Intels are crap.

Also, does the case come with intake/outake fans, if not get a couple of quiet ones.
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2011 3:34:18 PM

rolli59 said:
My first question is have you cleaned the cooler? Temperature should not exceed Tcase in normal operation!

I haven't yet. Is it just blowing off the fins of the heat sink, or is it more involved than that?
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:36:33 PM

das_stig said:
If its old, have you renewed the thermal paste.

My P-D 840 idles at 26c and tops out at 50c on full load with a average 3rd party cooler and decent case airflow, stock Intels are crap.

Also, does the case come with intake/outake fans, if not get a couple of quiet ones.

I have both intake and outtake fans, i'm not sure if it's a stock intel fan or not, I got it for free about a year ago.
m
l

Best solution

a c 900 à CPUs
April 18, 2011 3:40:03 PM

kellyctv said:
I haven't yet. Is it just blowing off the fins of the heat sink, or is it more involved than that?

Yes blowing of the fins of the cooler and cleaning the fan blades is what I do on regular intervals. I usually remove the fan, if possible, and use compressed air to blow out the fins. If the fan is not easily removable don't let it spin around, hold it with a finger while blowing, since it can damage the bearing.
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2011 5:39:22 PM

Pentium D's get hot. Very hot. Hot as in "It will automatically throttle and shut down under normal conditions" hot.
m
l
April 19, 2011 4:49:45 AM

Best answer selected by kellyctv.
m
l
!