Solved

New Build Advice

Hello,

I'm putting together a gaming system for the first time (I'd consider myself moderately technical when it comes to PC/gaming hardware). First, does anyone see a problem or incompatibility with the specs below?

Second, I plan on over-clocking the 2500k. There is enough information out there about how to do this, but I'm worried about cooling. The NZXT case has 2 120mm fans, and 2 140mm fan ports. Will air cooling be sufficient (assuming I put in more fans)? I'd rather avoid installing liquid cooling. I have zero experience with that stuff.

Thanks for your input!

p.

----------

NZXT M59-001BK M59 Gaming Mid Tower Case - ATX, mATX, Baby ATX

Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 Intel P67 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz Quad-Core

Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gbs

Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM - PC10666, 1333MHz

Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 Video Card - 1GB

Sony Optiarc DVDRW Drive - 24x
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build advice
  1. consider a Seasonic S12II 520W ($59.99 at newegg) instead. It is able to handle two 6850s in crossfire, if needed, more than enough or just one
  2. Well also check out the Antec NeoEco 520w, same price as the SI2II but 15$ MIR and less shipping and handling fee.

Check out my site, it'd really be awesome it's down in my Siggy :D
    Hope it dits your budget.

Oh and air cooling is sufficent, the Hyper 212+ is a great deal on amazon. Two fans, free shipping and cheaper than newegg. Get it off me siggy site :D The 2500K can get to 4.6 on a stock cooler so I'm told.
  3. Great! Thanks for the info... much appreciated.

p.
  4. Quick question:

What do you think of the Antec EarthWatts EA650 650? It isn't NeoEco, but is 80+ rated and has some extra juice. Great price too.

I can only find the NeoEco at newegg, and I'm trying to avoid tax/shipping charge (all of my parts are from amazon and tigerdirect, where I've avoided both so far).

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-EarthWatts-EA650-Power-Supply/dp/B000HEZFZO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295585552&sr=1-1-fkmr0

Thanks!

p.

aznshinobi said:
    Well also check out the Antec NeoEco 520w, same price as the SI2II but 15$ MIR and less shipping and handling fee.

Check out my site, it'd really be awesome it's down in my Siggy :D
    Hope it dits your budget.

Oh and air cooling is sufficent, the Hyper 212+ is a great deal on amazon. Two fans, free shipping and cheaper than newegg. Get it off me siggy site :D The 2500K can get to 4.6 on a stock cooler so I'm told.
  5. Well that's fine to I guess, Its basically the same PSU with more wattage, or so they claim. But according to Newegg, the the 650 is also 80+ certified so you could go check it out.
  6. Best answer
    I think you should get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. It matches or beats the Caviar Black 1TB performance wise in most categories (roughly 98% as good) while saving you $25.

The Radeon 6850 is around a 5830 performance wise--not impressive for a new awesome build. I think you should cut corners on whatever you can (I'm not sure how much your case costs, but if it's mid tower, don't spend more than $50) and get the 6950. Or get a 5850 for better performance for cheaper than a 6850. If you were getting a 750W PSU, then GTX 470's have dropped to near $200 AR. Also, you can save money by using the stock cooler for your initial OC'ing and put that towards a graphics card for now.

Also, 1333MHz RAM? Why not get some 2000MHz and run it at 1333 with really tight timings? Or at least some 1600MHz stuff. There's Corsair Vengeance stuff on Newegg for like $50.
  7. I agree with the dalauder get the spinpoint! I have built 3 rigs with them in it and all gaming rigs with absolutely awesome performance. Also the Antec Earth Watts is a great PSU. So go for it! The Seasonic previously mentioned is also a great psu.
  8. One thing you have to look at with the Psu is the 12 volt rail so make sure it can power your gpu!
  9. Yeah!... this is a big help, so many thanks. That's interesting regarding the 6850/5850. Initially, I had decided on the 5850, but then (for some reason) decided that the 6850 would suffice (and cheaper too). But I'm to the point now were I've chipped away savings on everything else that the 5850 should be doable budget-wise.

As for RAM, good catch. I meant to get the 1600MHz corsair or similar.

And that's good news on the PSU.

p.
  10. darkjuggalo.... regarding the +12V Rails, the Antec Earth Watt has 3. Will that work? (sorry for the lack of PSU/electrical knowledge...)

p.
  11. add up the totals. Should be fine.
  12. Best answer selected by porch73.
  13. I'm not too familiar with the Ultra LSP750. This Antec 750W is only $5 more and you don't want a PSU that craps out on you. Although a 650W would power two 5850's: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

If you have the dough, nothing touches a 5870 on performance to price right now (see new GTX 560 Ti Review).

Lastly, don't worry too much about your motherboard only having a x16 and a x4 lane if you want to crossfire/SLI down the road: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/25/gtx_480_sli_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x4x4/
  14. I ended up getting the Asus P8P67 Mobo. Glad to hear that the PCIe lane thing won't be a bottleneck, as I do plan on picking up a second XFS HD 5850 eventually.

Other changes: Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU, Samsung 1 TB F3 Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5.

Going with stock cooling on the i5-2500k, to start... the Antec case has 2 fans, so hopefully things should stay reasonably "cool". I can't wait to put it together... just waiting for the case to show up.

Btw, any recommendations on a "gaming" monitor? Something in the $200 - $250 range?

Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product