Sign in with
Your question

Integrated graphics troubleshooting

Last response: in Motherboards
December 23, 2011 7:53:41 PM

I have an HP computer I am working on for a friend and the integrated graphics card is not working because the d-sub port has been broken. It has a pcie slot but I do not have an extra pcie graphics card laying around. Is there a way to make it recognize a pci graphics card without first going into the bios. My friend got this computer from his boss and is not sure if there is anything else wrong with it so I am really hesitant to put my own graphics card in it in case there is another problem that might potentially hurt my card.

mcp61pm-hm is the motherboard model number.
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b α HP
December 23, 2011 8:16:56 PM

why are you afraid of BIOS?... throw the pci card in and see.
m
l
December 23, 2011 9:35:23 PM

its not that I'm afraid of the BIOS. my friend got it from his boss who supposedly had all kinds of trouble with it. My friend got it for free and just wants to know if its salvageable. not knowing what else may be wrong with it, i don't want to put in a really good card. I already tried a pci card and it doesnt recognize it. I tried clearing cmos and that didn't help either. Just wondered if there was another trick I could try to get it to look at the pci slot.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 10:09:31 PM

Unfornately, the motherboard will only recognize a pci-e gpu or intergrated. I would recommend going to a mom and pa place and buying a used pcie card for 10-15 bucks and tring that.
Also what other types of trouble is the mob been reported to have. You may need to do a firmware update since you already flashed it.
m
l
December 23, 2011 11:17:30 PM

thats what I was afraid of. I think if i can get into the bios, I might be able to make it use the pci card but i can't do that without a monitor. not sure what other problems were reported just that it was fixed a few times before and the guy that fixed it supposedly said that it was permanently broke. its an x2 6000 so i'm not quite ready to give up yet. its fairly decent for a free computer for my friend.
m
l
a c 146 V Motherboard
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b α HP
December 24, 2011 4:38:16 AM

I recommend you copy this and print it out:

BIOS:
The BIOS can be set specifically to use the onboard graphics by default, or use a PCIe graphics card if detected automatically but there's no way to know.

Awesome, basic card:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=55585&vpn=EAH5450%20S...

*You can use HARDWARE ACCELERATION when supported. Details:
1) disable all of the Avanced Video Settings in the Catalyst Control Panel. They cause poor video problems for me.

2) Hardware Acceleration must be enabled in the video software such as VLC. I prefer to use the K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard) http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.h...

3) Use the Media Player Classic HC which comes with K-Lite: "Options-> Internal Filters-> enabled MPEG2, AVC, and VC-1 (boldfaced)

4) Only those video codecs can be hardware accelerated (to reduce CPU usage and noise).

BIOS:
a) see if the BIOS battery works. Make any change, save it, reboot and enter the BIOS and see if it saved. If not, your battery may be dead (rare).

b) FLASH your BIOS to the latest edition. The best way is to install the BIOS software for your motherboard (see driver/software webpage for your EXACT model), then manually download the latest BIOS (even if Beta) to your hard drive then UPDATE the BIOS using the software and point it to the file you downloaded. Don't let the BIOS update software try to find the BIOS itself.

*I'm not sure what BIOS issues you are having, however some problems can be fixed by re-applying the same image (if the flash chip is corrupted) and some problems are fixed by applying a newer BIOS image (that's the point of an update).

POWER REQUIREMENT:
The card I recommend should have no issues. It's a great, basic card with hardware acceleration and support for newer web page features.

However, be careful if adding a more powerful card as your Power Supply may not be adequate. Not only must a PSU supply the Total Power required for your PC but it must also supply power where it's needed specifically such as the +12V rail for the PCIe graphics card.

For example, a GTX570 might need 38Amps. The point is, if you get a more powerful card you must:
1) identify the exact PSU and confirm the +12V Amperage it supplies (8 Amps?)

2) identify the graphics card Amperage requirement and confirm it is LOWER than the PSU can supply.

Cheers.
m
l
a c 146 V Motherboard
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b α HP
December 24, 2011 4:47:41 AM

Other good stuff:
1) apply all Microsoft Updates
2) apply any relevent driver or software updates (for your exact model)
3) Graphics drivers for an ADDON graphics card should be downloaded directly from AMD.
4) Learn how to make a periodic backup image using software like Acronis True Image to a secondary hard drive (Western Digital and Seagate have free versions of Acronis TI. I forget the Seagate name.)

**Broken graphics slot issue:
This may be problematic, but here's my recommend:
1) Hook up the addon card first. Hopefully the BIOS setting will just use it (set to PCIe first if available).
2) If not, it might get tricky such as guessing the keys to press in order to change the BIOS setting (hard but not impossible). Maybe someone with the SAME computer can talk you through this.
3) Contact HP.

**If you're really stuck I'll try to come up with something.
m
l
a c 146 V Motherboard
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b α HP
December 24, 2011 4:57:49 AM

GOOD NEWS!!!
GOOD NEWS!!!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=e...

Under the VIDEO section it says this:

"*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed."

Therefore, there's no need to enter the BIOS. Installation is this:

1. Computer is OFF.
2. Mount the graphics card, including screw, and hook up the MONITOR. Use DVI instead of VGA if there's a choice.
3. Turn ON the PC.
4. Ignore any video update windows.
5. UNINSTALL the previous video drivers (NVidia Geforce)
6. Reboot if needed.
7. Download and install the latest drivers for your card AND for your version of Windows (i.e. AMD HD5000 series for Windows XP or Vista or Windows 7?)

AMD desktop drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I like to TEST using the free version of 3DMark2001se found at Majorgeeks or similar.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 4:11:49 PM

I wouldn't give up on the machine myself. Putting in a cheap pci-e should solve the problem but I am with you in not using a good card until tested. I have seen bad mob blow individual devices in the past. doesn't happen often but is a possiblity. That is why I recommend a cheap used card for testing. There is no reason why you should need to change the bios settings to get the pcie card to work with this machine but I know HP mob and you'll want to get the latest firmware update from HP or mob manufacture after getting it up and running.
m
l
!