Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 doesn't load

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2011 1:51:40 AM

Here's all the info I have right now. Was using my computer as normal and it froze up. Cold booted it, now it shows the mobo logo, loads a couple screens and then black. Nothing past this point and pressing the power button instantly turns it off instead of having to hold it. I can enter the BIOS, but that's about it.

Q9450
GTX9800+
4GBDDR3
790i

Edit: And I went through the checklist.

More about : windows load

January 21, 2011 4:01:05 AM

hmmm.... one of two things. either windows is corrupt (wich in this case you would need to insert the windows disk and try to repair and possible restore from an earlier set point) or The hard drive is screwed (in which case you may have to purchase a new one. I would have said the ram as a posibility but that usually results in a BSOD not a black screen. Hope this coul help and good luck...
m
l
January 21, 2011 8:50:35 AM

Have you tried launching the computer with a bootable disk - such as the Windows 7 disc you installed with, or a backup disk you may have? Alternatively, you can temporarily run a version of Linux, just so you get your basic internet and document services and can check on the status of your computer.

Also, check the internal temperatures of your computer and any cables that may have accidentally come loose.
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2011 12:52:22 PM

The temperatures seem fine, when I put in the W7 install disc it says booting from disc, then proceeds to go to the black screen again (of course using the DVDROM as the first boot up device). I left it on for a long time today and I can conclude that either method results in the black screen and it's not actually loading anything.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2011 1:08:18 PM

Tap the F8 key on startup, to access the advanced boot menu. Try booting into safe mode with command prompt. At the prompt, type rstrui and press enter. This will open the restore points. You can roll it back to before the problem started.

If it won't get that far, you may have damage to the hard drive. In that case, go to the hard drive manufacturer's website, and download their diagnostic tool, and scan the drive.
m
l
January 21, 2011 1:19:32 PM

Yeah, I can't get that far. So, will I need another computer to diagnose the HDD? I'm on my laptop.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2011 1:31:48 PM

The hard drive manufacturer should have a bootable diagnostic utility. Download that, and create a boot disc, and scan your hard drive. You can do it from your desktop, as it will be running off the CD drive, instead of the hard drive.
m
l
January 21, 2011 2:06:59 PM

Okay, so I will need access to another floppy drive since I can't use my desktop or this low-quality laptop. I removed my main drive and booted from the W7 disc and it started loading. So, I'm guessing it is the main HDD for whatever reason.

Here's the funny part, as it was loading, the power went out on my block. What were the chances?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2011 2:14:13 PM

You shouldn't need a floppy. You can usually create those diagnostic discs as CDs. That CD will test your hard drive, while it's connected to your desktop system. You shouldn't need any other hardware.

That's a bummer about the power. Hopefully you have a good surge protector.
m
l
January 21, 2011 8:59:23 PM

+1 about the surge protector there, that is an essential for anybody who cares about their computer.

If you think the problem could be your hard drive - or something corrupt on it, buy a second hard drive. This is not a replacement, it is to help you get by. Unplug your main hard drive. Then, install Linux onto the second drive and set it as the primary boot drive. Then plug in your original drive and boot. Shut down your computer in between each stage! When you launch through Linux, you will have full access to all of the data in your hard drives. I would recommend finding the bug in the main hard drive or - if you can't - copy off all of your important files. Reinstall Windows on your new hard drive.

-Klosteral
m
l
January 22, 2011 5:06:07 AM

I was able to use a friend's SATA dock to diagnose it a bit. The Windows diagnostics reported that there were no problems, and I was able to salvage any important files. The drive still won't start up again, though. I'll try again tomorrow.

Just weird that it froze up on me randomly, windows finds no problems, and it still doesn't start. Noticed it had a 5 year warranty on it, but I think the trouble of getting it shipped out (and paying), and waiting for an extra long time might not outweigh buying a 2TB HDD (over 3x bigger than my drive).

The only bothersome part is reinstalling everything and configuring it the way I like it... Will take a couple of weeks.
m
l
January 22, 2011 12:15:51 PM

Today I received a new message when booting up normally with the drive.

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the case. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible."

I've inserted the W7 disc in both my drives, made either the boot priority, etc. I always get this message even though it says booting from disc.
m
l
January 24, 2011 9:32:12 AM

I must say that that is really really strange. If you can read your hard drive from another computer, it rules that out, and you get the same error with your DVD ROM drive then it is no coinsidence.

I can say that the only things that could cause such a problem - in my eyes - are a faulty motherboard or faulty PSU. Have you had any power-outages in your area recently that cood overload system components like this?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
January 24, 2011 11:42:32 AM

Your problem is likely a physically damaged hard drive, or corrupted boot files.

Try doing a windows repair, or scan the drive for errors (using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool).
m
l
!