Pentium M and Pentium Centrino?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 9:04:17 PM

What is the difference between Pentium M and Pentium Centrino?
Vuela
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 9:04:18 PM

"Vuela" <runge_kuta@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What is the difference between Pentium M and Pentium Centrino?
> Vuela

Centrino isn't a processor.

See http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/docs/centrinopr...

It's a tad out of date but you'll get the idea.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 10:42:59 PM

"JefN" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
| "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
|| Centrino isn't a processor.
|| See http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/docs/centrinopr...
|| It's a tad out of date but you'll get the idea.
|
| HillBillyBuddist -
|
| The horse's mouth is a good place to look too:
| http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/centrino/
|
| Jef

Yeah I thought about posting that one but thought the OP might benefit from
a simple "Centrino=" explanation without all the Intel "For today's
multi-tasking, on-the-go computing lifestyle, you want outstanding mobile
performance when you're away from your home or office" advertising oriented
tag lines. ;-)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
March 7, 2005 12:17:24 AM

Vuela <runge_kuta@hotmail.com> wrote:
: What is the difference between Pentium M and Pentium Centrino?

Centrino is a package, not a CPU. Centrino includes a chipset, an
integrated wireless card, and a Pentium M CPU. The CPU is what's the
most important. You shouldn't shy away from buying a laptop that is
Pentium M but not Centrino.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

"Vuela" <runge_kuta@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What is the difference between Pentium M and Pentium Centrino?

Vuela,

In addition to the links the others have provided, there are a couple common
points of confusion. First, be sure not to confuse the Pentium M with the
Pentium 4M--they are two completely different processors. (It doesn't sound
like you are, but others lurking here might.) Second, as HillyBillyBuddhist
said, "Centrino" is not a processor. It's a package of the Pentium M plus
802.11b wireless. Note the "b"--a Pentium M plus 802.11g does not get to be
called "Centrino", even though "g" is better than "b".

You'll find the major manufacturers offer "Centrino" laptops, and "Pentium M
with internal 802.11b/g" laptops. The latter is better, although a Centrino
is better than a Pentium M laptop with no wireless.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 12:22:20 AM

dg1261 wrote:

> "Vuela" <runge_kuta@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the difference between Pentium M and Pentium Centrino?
>
> Vuela,
>
> In addition to the links the others have provided, there are a couple
> common
> points of confusion. First, be sure not to confuse the Pentium M with the
> Pentium 4M--they are two completely different processors. (It doesn't
> sound
> like you are, but others lurking here might.) Second, as
> HillyBillyBuddhist
> said, "Centrino" is not a processor. It's a package of the Pentium M plus
> 802.11b wireless. Note the "b"--a Pentium M plus 802.11g does not get to
> be called "Centrino", even though "g" is better than "b".

That is not quite the case. Centrino is a package consisting of the Pentium
M, a chipset from the Intel 855 or 915 Express chipset families, and an
Intel Pro/Wireless network chip, which can be the 2100 (802.11b), 2200bg
(802.11b/g), or 2915abg (802.11a/b/g).

Pentium M with a non-Intel 802.11b chip cannot carry the Centrino label, one
with an Intel 802.11a/b/g chip _can_ carry the Centrino label.

The confusion comes about because Intel was late to market with any but the
802.11b chips, so manufacturers were forced to use non-Intel chips to get
anything but "b" and so could not use the Centrino label.

> You'll find the major manufacturers offer "Centrino" laptops, and "Pentium
> with internal 802.11b/g" laptops. The latter is better, although a
> Centrino is better than a Pentium M laptop with no wireless.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Hello D

The Centrino = Pentium-M + Intel 855 chipset + Intel 802.11b is a very nice
well written crystal clear view explanation. I was in the Intel site and it
was not all that clear to me that centrino isn't a processor. Congrats for
your Univ!! well done.
Vuela

> "JefN" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> | "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> || Centrino isn't a processor.
> || See http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/docs/centrinopr...
> || It's a tad out of date but you'll get the idea.
> |
> | HillBillyBuddist -
> |
> | The horse's mouth is a good place to look too:
> | http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/centrino/
> |
> | Jef
>
> Yeah I thought about posting that one but thought the OP might benefit
> from
> a simple "Centrino=" explanation without all the Intel "For today's
> multi-tasking, on-the-go computing lifestyle, you want outstanding mobile
> performance when you're away from your home or office" advertising
> oriented
> tag lines. ;-)

> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 5:55:03 PM

Hello

Thank you all (specially D and John) for your responses.
Actually I found D's Univ. link quite helpful.

I have straiten out my choices to these two laptops:

Please see my message in the main board under the name Two Choices Finally

Cheers
Vuela

news:D 0g0cd024hf@news3.newsguy.com...

!