Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 keeps throttling my processor to 25% and I can't figure out why

Last response: in Windows 7
November 23, 2011 1:03:17 AM

Hello,

My power settings do not tell Windows 7 to cap processor performance at 25%. I've got a Dell XPS M1330, which is a fairly "old" machine in the modern market, but still performs well when Windows 7 isn't pulling this crap. I've tried resetting power settings, I've brought it in to a shop to check the CPU fan and core temperature and that all checked out, but the Resource Monitor still shows the processor being throttled to a quarter of it's potential. What else can I do?
November 23, 2011 1:27:21 AM

It could be some DELL bloatware overruling the native powersettings in Windows.

Are there any programs on your 'installed programs' list called anything like 'Dell power management'?
Related resources
November 23, 2011 2:16:36 AM

I should mention that what I have installed is *not* the Dell-version of Windows 7. No manufacturer bloatware - it's a clean install of Windows 7 Professional x64. Also, this wasn't always the case. My computer just started being slower about a month ago and I finally narrowed down the cause about a week ago.
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2011 2:23:42 AM

Did u try it?
November 23, 2011 3:30:45 AM

nikorr said:
Did u try it?

Well, that'd undoubtedly add to the body of evidence that proves my problem, but the screen occasionally not showing the letters in real time as I type them is already pretty conclusive evidence that the Resource Monitor is not lying to me about my processor being throttled mercilessly.
November 23, 2011 3:32:28 AM

FYI I have a Dell XPS 1640... and for some reason the way Dell MOBO's are made from i hear are NOTROIOUS for throttleing wither it be heat, or whatever... and this based on a lot forums I have read regarding a throttleing issue, so far I have had my heatsinks replaced twice, mobo replaced.. and now it just randomly throttles in game... and goes back to normal... I am working with dell for a FULL system replacement to a newer generation laptop which does not have throttling issues. FYI if you don't have warrenty any more.. your up the creek with out a paddle.
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2011 3:33:42 AM

And your power setting is set to performance?
November 23, 2011 3:52:55 AM

Zelbinian said:
Hello,

My power settings do not tell Windows 7 to cap processor performance at 25%.?

I hate to point this out, but might you be running SINGLE threaded apps? In that case, Windows will separate utilization over your four cores = 25% per core. I hope I'm 100% wrong about this, but I haven't seen it mentioned so far.

November 23, 2011 1:43:28 PM

You could also just download and run Intel Burn Test and open Task Manager > Performance tab to make sure you can hit 100%.

I'd suggest checking your temps (HWMonitor/Real Temp/Core Temp/Speedfan) as it could be temp based throttling. Stock heatsinks can sometimes pop out.
!