Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 keeps throttling my processor to 25% and I can't figure out why

Last response: in Windows 7
November 23, 2011 1:03:17 AM

Hello,

My power settings do not tell Windows 7 to cap processor performance at 25%. I've got a Dell XPS M1330, which is a fairly "old" machine in the modern market, but still performs well when Windows 7 isn't pulling this crap. I've tried resetting power settings, I've brought it in to a shop to check the CPU fan and core temperature and that all checked out, but the Resource Monitor still shows the processor being throttled to a quarter of it's potential. What else can I do?
November 23, 2011 1:27:21 AM

It could be some DELL bloatware overruling the native powersettings in Windows.

Are there any programs on your 'installed programs' list called anything like 'Dell power management'?
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2011 2:16:36 AM

I should mention that what I have installed is *not* the Dell-version of Windows 7. No manufacturer bloatware - it's a clean install of Windows 7 Professional x64. Also, this wasn't always the case. My computer just started being slower about a month ago and I finally narrowed down the cause about a week ago.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2011 2:23:42 AM

Did u try it?
m
l
November 23, 2011 2:34:26 AM

nikorr said:
OK, try this.
Download Prime95 @ http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
Download Process Explorer @ http://www.filehippo.com/download_process_explorer/

Prime95
Select just stress testing >> Blend and than open the Process Explorer and follow the picture. That will show u if the CPU can indeed run @ 100%.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9606/20111122202515.png

Wow, I learned something today. The most convoluted way to check processor core usage.
m
l
November 23, 2011 3:30:45 AM

nikorr said:
Did u try it?

Well, that'd undoubtedly add to the body of evidence that proves my problem, but the screen occasionally not showing the letters in real time as I type them is already pretty conclusive evidence that the Resource Monitor is not lying to me about my processor being throttled mercilessly.
m
l
November 23, 2011 3:32:28 AM

FYI I have a Dell XPS 1640... and for some reason the way Dell MOBO's are made from i hear are NOTROIOUS for throttleing wither it be heat, or whatever... and this based on a lot forums I have read regarding a throttleing issue, so far I have had my heatsinks replaced twice, mobo replaced.. and now it just randomly throttles in game... and goes back to normal... I am working with dell for a FULL system replacement to a newer generation laptop which does not have throttling issues. FYI if you don't have warrenty any more.. your up the creek with out a paddle.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2011 3:33:42 AM

And your power setting is set to performance?
m
l
November 23, 2011 3:52:55 AM

Zelbinian said:
Hello,

My power settings do not tell Windows 7 to cap processor performance at 25%.?

I hate to point this out, but might you be running SINGLE threaded apps? In that case, Windows will separate utilization over your four cores = 25% per core. I hope I'm 100% wrong about this, but I haven't seen it mentioned so far.

m
l
November 23, 2011 1:43:28 PM

You could also just download and run Intel Burn Test and open Task Manager > Performance tab to make sure you can hit 100%.

I'd suggest checking your temps (HWMonitor/Real Temp/Core Temp/Speedfan) as it could be temp based throttling. Stock heatsinks can sometimes pop out.
m
l
!