Sign in with
Your question

Help Advanced knowledge needed only gurus

Last response: in Motherboards
December 23, 2011 8:13:48 PM

Recently I purchased the msi big bang fuzion mother board 1156 socket, I currently have 2x mis 6950's, Lynnfield 860 i7, 8 gb 2x4 ripjaw ddr3 dual channel memory, my frio heatsink, and a bfg 100 watt psu. pc is oc to 3.9 ghz on air antec 902 case.

Upon Installing the hardware(big bang F) and checking all connnections ground screws, pin connectors, satas, and everything else, I turn the pc on and my dell monitor logo appears then nothing. Just a black screen. No bios, no startup, no windows screen, just black.

So I 1) reseated everything, result- nothing
2) redid connections to double check connections- everything was a ok, still black screen
3) replaced the 6950s w a 5850 result- black screen
4) replaced the 8 gb ram w 2x4 gb ripjaw ram result black screen
contacted MSI and they were dumbfounded, they walked me through everything that I had previously tried, still the dell logo then black screen. The pc powers on all light on mobo are blue indicating proper function, all fans continue to run at a low speed almost like an idle setting. black screen. Msi said to return the board to the place I bought it, but this was supposed to be a christmas gift i chose rapid delivery for add 30 bucks, and wanna avoid the wait for shipping there, back and the rma doa testing phase 1-7 busniess days if possible

If its any help, its not a clean install of anything, just swapping the older gap55-ud3p board w the big bang fuzion, but does that matter if i cant even get a bios screen, just stays black after my dell logo and pc runs at an idle fan speed
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 8:31:38 PM

Well, I am not a guru, but I can try to help some. Try plugging the DVI/VGA/HDMI/DP into a different port. Some video cards only use one port unit the other is needed I believe. Also, your dell monitor could be in "power saving mode". It does the same thing to my dell monitor sometimes, just tells me I am in power saving mode first. Unplug your monitor from your PC and turn off the monitor, turn the PC on, wait about 30 seconds, connect the monitor to the PC, and turn the monitor on again. That may work. Are there any error codes on the board? Did you bend a CPU socket pin?

That is all I can think of right now, I hope it works.
m
l
December 23, 2011 8:48:38 PM

Thanks for all your info, unfurtinately, Its not just the monitor, I hooked it to my tv as well (hdmi)- just black screen, As I said, ive switched the cards around, as well as put 5850s in no avail. No pins are bent or broken and all parts have been tested, and Im using them now on my older ga p55 mobo.
m
l
Related resources
a c 229 V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 8:56:14 PM

blewerwes0 said:
Thanks for all your info, unfurtinately, Its not just the monitor, I hooked it to my tv as well (hdmi)- just black screen, As I said, ive switched the cards around, as well as put 5850s in no avail. No pins are bent or broken and all parts have been tested, and Im using them now on my older ga p55 mobo.

If the only new part is the motherbaord, then it either is shorting out to the case (an extra post could do that) or it's defective. You should test it outside of the case and RMA it if it doesn't work.
m
l
December 23, 2011 9:12:45 PM

GhislainG ty Ive been reading alot of similar problems, giving advice on bench testing it, so Im gonna give it a go, also gonna post the results soon. TY everyone for the quick professional and polite responses.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 10:18:39 PM

blewerwes0 said:

The motherboard pins. I am saying maybe a motherboard CPU socket pin was bent. I am probably wrong, but might as well give a shot and check.
m
l
December 23, 2011 10:20:12 PM

OK so heres the update on the bench test, tested on the cardboard box of the mobo, same thing dell logo pops up all the lights on the mobo come one ex pcie light ram light, all indicating they are connected, once the dell splash logo dissapears the screen is black, so it wasnt a ground issue, also I tried to start up w/o a harddrive to see if i could just get the bios screen to show. But, I had no luck. THinking an rma is the only option. Once again reconnected older mobo and am using all components on it now. So they all work fine, and mobos are same socket 1156 compatible w the same parts
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 10:24:27 PM

Yeah, that sounds like a bad board because everything else works. Sorry you couldn't get a good answer.... :( 
m
l
December 23, 2011 10:25:48 PM

and all the socket pins are fine, none are bent damaged or missing
m
l
December 23, 2011 10:26:16 PM

k thanks donut
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 10:26:32 PM

blewerwes0 said:
and all the socket pins are fine, none are bent damaged or missing

Yeah, I would say RMA it.
m
l
December 23, 2011 10:27:23 PM

what is baffeling me is why am i seeing the dell logo, its the only consistant thing each time
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 10:52:55 PM

blewerwes0 said:
what is baffeling me is why am i seeing the dell logo, its the only consistant thing each time

The Dell logo gets displayed by the monitor as soon as it gets some signal. It definitely doesn't mean that it's getting a good signal from the GPU. If it did, you'd see info from the PC instead of the logo.
m
l
a c 210 V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 11:25:32 PM

blewerwes0 said:
If its any help, its not a clean install of anything, just swapping the older gap55-ud3p board w the big bang fuzion, but does that matter if i cant even get a bios screen, just stays black after my dell logo and pc runs at an idle fan speed

So you had this old HD, containing drivers for all the components on this Gigabyte gap55-ud3p Motherboard and now you changed Motherboards, of a different brand and with a new set of components thereon and you are wondering why it don't work ? It won't, not till you reinstall windows.

However, I would still expect you to be able to get into the BIOS.

Do you have the RAM in the correct slots ....check the manual.....?

Do you have 8 pin EPS connector plugged into MoBo ? (or 4 pin ATX) ?

Do you have CPU fan plugged in to MoBo header ?

Have you run memtest86+ ?

Do you have the monitor OSD set to the same input that you connected the cable to ?

Will it boot to Windows DvD ?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 11:55:52 PM

GhislainG said:
The Dell logo gets displayed by the monitor as soon as it gets some signal. It definitely doesn't mean that it's getting a good signal from the GPU. If it did, you'd see info from the PC instead of the logo.

I believe I get a Dell logo without even plugging in the monitor to the computer. I believe it is built into the monitor to do that.
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 12:02:20 AM

The logo definitely is from the monitor, but you should see it only when you power it up. Then it goes to standby unless it gets signal from the GPU.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 12:04:04 AM

GhislainG said:
The logo definitely is from the monitor, but you should see it only when you power it up. Then it goes to standby unless it gets signal from the GPU.

Oh, yes. On some MSI boards, there should be an extra 4 or 8 pin connector for the video cards above the PCI-E slots, I don't think you need to plug it in until the cards draw more power, but make sure that is plugged in.
m
l
December 24, 2011 12:13:12 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
So you had this old HD, containing drivers for all the components on this Gigabyte gap55-ud3p Motherboard and now you changed Motherboards, of a different brand and with a new set of components thereon and you are wondering why it don't work ? It won't, not till you reinstall windows.

Non sense. I have the same build of win 7 on a machine from 4 different motherboards, from an AMD 1090t to an i7 870 to a 2600k that has had the cougerpoint glitch to the replacement. Just had to re-verify authenticity for each. If this were back in the windows xp days you may be correct. This is no longer true.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 12:18:05 AM

lemlo said:
Non sense. I have the same build of win 7 on a machine from 4 different motherboards, from an AMD 1090t to an i7 870 to a 2600k that has had the cougerpoint glitch to the replacement. Just had to re-verify authenticity for each. If this were back in the windows xp days you may be correct. This is no longer true.

I believe he is talking about the drivers. You are running GIGABYTE drivers on an MSI board. I would try using the MSI drivers.
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 12:21:45 AM

It wouldn't be true in XP because the chipset hasn't changed.
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 12:25:37 AM

HostileDonut said:
I believe he is talking about the drivers. You are running GIGABYTE drivers on an MSI board. I would try using the MSI drivers.

Gigabyte specific drivers won't load when an MSI motherboard is installed unless the hardware is the same. The chipset and other drivers are the same. Regardless, that wouldn't prevent the system from displaying info at POST which occurs before booting.
m
l
a c 148 V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 12:27:10 AM

just a question did you put your memory sticks in the black slots first and after putting the ati driver on for both card, did you install the lucid driver
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 12:31:15 AM

GhislainG said:
Gigabyte specific drivers won't load when an MSI motherboard is installed unless the hardware is the same. The chipset and other drivers are the same. Regardless, that wouldn't prevent the system from displaying info at POST which occurs before booting.

Yeah, you got a point. I believe it's a bad board.
m
l
December 24, 2011 2:18:03 AM

1st, like i said i cant get into bios, its a black screen so even if i did pop the disk in i couldnt read what it said. But yeah i tried that. Ram has been put in every slot to no avail. Ive weeded out the smaller possibilities. I understand i need the drivers from the new board, but how do i install drivers, when i cant boot into bios orwindows, and the old drivers shouldnt really matter when im testing for bios, and my hd is unplugged. But, regaurdless i should get some thing on the screen
m
l
December 24, 2011 2:19:35 AM

and in regaurds to gangis- that is true, but I switched the 6950s with my older 5850s way more compatable with the board, and the same thing
m
l
December 24, 2011 2:21:22 AM

the 8 pin connector, and 24 pin are connected all pins, satas, and wires are properly connected-
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 2:24:33 AM

8 pin CPU, and PCI-E. i think MSI has a 4 or 8 pin PCI-E power connector. Take the drive out, uninstall the GIGABYTE drivers on another machine, install the good ones, and then install the drive on the new machine.
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 2:29:28 AM

HostileDonut said:
8 pin CPU, and PCI-E. i think MSI has a 4 or 8 pin PCI-E power connector. Take the drive out, uninstall the GIGABYTE drivers on another machine, install the good ones, and then install the drive on the new machine.

How will that help the system POST? The issue occurs way before drivers are loaded.
m
l
December 24, 2011 2:33:24 AM

and last but not least the drivers, the br drive starts working but no display on the screen
m
l
December 24, 2011 2:42:05 AM

HostileDonut said:
Well, I am not a guru, but I can try to help some. Try plugging the DVI/VGA/HDMI/DP into a different port. Some video cards only use one port unit the other is needed I believe. Also, your dell monitor could be in "power saving mode". It does the same thing to my dell monitor sometimes, just tells me I am in power saving mode first. Unplug your monitor from your PC and turn off the monitor, turn the PC on, wait about 30 seconds, connect the monitor to the PC, and turn the monitor on again. That may work. Are there any error codes on the board? Did you bend a CPU socket pin?

That is all I can think of right now, I hope it works.

+100.if every thing else fails,try to re install your cpu.
m
l
December 24, 2011 2:47:24 AM

tried the monitor, plugging it in and out after like 30 seconds still black. Ive got the weekend to figure this out, Monday it goes back if not
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 2:47:30 AM

GhislainG said:
How will that help the system POST? The issue occurs way before drivers are loaded.

Yeah, I keep forgetting the system won't even POST and that it is not just a issue loading windows. Discard that post.
m
l
December 24, 2011 3:23:00 AM

my guess is a bad motherboard. same thing happened to me with an old P5ND. RMA it imo.
m
l
January 7, 2012 6:19:02 PM

I returned it, the tech sent me an email saying he was able to get it to post, and he updated the bios from 1.2 to 1.5 for me, and said it shold work for me. He sent a screen, od 3dmark score, but didnt have any mobo info on it, so i just have to take his work for it
m
l
January 17, 2012 3:18:46 AM

Ok so I got the board back. This time hooked a speaker into the new mobo. I recieved this post cost... 1 Long 2 short... meaning mmonitor/ graphocs card error. So I spoke to msi, he said its my ram, I did the benchtest, 2 diff sets of ram, the same brand gskill ripjaw series, one set is 4gb dcddr3ram1600, and the other is 8gbdcddr3ram1860. Tech said that only explanation is my ram and motherboard dont like earch other and he suggested corsair or kingston. Or, he stated to return the board, for a replacement. i tried my other 5850 card as to my 6950, as well as diff pcie slots, still fail. Always get the 1 long 2 short no matter what I do.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 10:01:08 AM

Could be the RAM then, but as long as they 1.5v, they should work. Make sure all settings are good in the BIOS.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 10:13:45 AM

blewerwes0 said:
Recently I purchased the msi big bang fuzion mother board 1156 socket, I currently have 2x mis 6950's, Lynnfield 860 i7, 8 gb 2x4 ripjaw ddr3 dual channel memory, my frio heatsink, and a bfg 100 watt psu. pc is oc to 3.9 ghz on air antec 902 case.

:heink: 
a 100w psu? :ouch: 
and how you managed to overclock it while it is not passing post? :o 
m
l
January 17, 2012 2:27:17 PM

True Genius read the thread, why would i go buy a 100 watt psu to power two 6950s???? That is specs for my current running system on a gap55ud3p board rev 1, The only thing I did was purchase this "Big Bang Fuzion Board", installed it, and booted. I get this post code. 1 LONG, 2 SHORT BEEPs, indicating 1 of many of things, either gcard or vid mon. problem, or ram problem. Just a little note, this is me doind this after an rma, inwhich they said it booted for them (superbiz)((like a tigerdirect almost)), and that they updated the bios for me and it would work. Like I said I get this post code. All lights and fans are on, my ccfl lights are on, graphics cards fans are spinning. So i took out the ram and booted w no ram, I get continuous beeps. So I put the ram back in rams that I have tried..... both gskill sets one is 2x4 gb 1860 dual channel ddr3 ripjaw ram, and the other set is gskill 2x2 gb1600 ddr3 ripjaw ram. Ive tried one stick in the dimm1 and 3 slots, heck ive tried one stick in all slots, and one set at a time in proper corresponding dimms. Same post code. Ive reseated everything, same beep code. Ive taken the graphics cards (msi 6950s)outta crossfire and tried just one, in diff pcie slots, same beep code. AIve tried using my older 5850s, same beep code with no monitor picture. So I called Msi yesterday, and they said, that either A Superbiz lied and didnt really test it and just sent it back, or B I need to try a different brand of ram. Like I said all the components tried on the mobo, I'm using now on my gap55 board, so all components work....
m
l
January 17, 2012 2:45:55 PM

HostileDonut said:
Could be the RAM then, but as long as they 1.5v, they should work. Make sure all settings are good in the BIOS.

I cant get into the bios screen to do anything, same situation as before, but this time i have the speaker hooked up for the post codes. As you can tell this is becoming crazy mobo was 90 bucks Ive already spent 60 shipping it back and forth. Im not understanding this really, tons of other peeps running ripjaws on the BBF board, and alot more peeps running 6950s on it. So why cant i get past post or even into the bios
m
l
January 17, 2012 6:44:16 PM

4pcs Supertalent DDR3-1333 W1333UA1GV this is what they used to get it to post at superbiz tech office.....
heres what i use and no post gskill ripsjawsddr3-1600pc3 12800 2 gbx2, and my other set G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 7:28:03 PM

I am really really stumped..... RAM is my best guess now, but still a shaky guess at best, which is why I don't say go buy more RAM because it may be money wasted. Maybe bring it into a computer repair shop, ask to test some RAM in it, and if it works, but that stuff.
m
l
January 17, 2012 10:47:29 PM

Donut, i called around local shops and they are all charging around 50-70 dollars to place ram in and test it. So I called MSI theirselves, they are gonna pay for me to ship the boad to them, and replace it no if ands or butts, also the tech Henry said he would keep me posted on his review of my board to see what the problem is
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 11:50:24 PM

Sounds nice. That is the best way to go about it.
m
l
January 25, 2012 5:17:11 AM

Ok, so heres the update. I went ahead and bought some ram off of teh QVL. Found some kingston on newegg. I put it in , and low and behold.... the smae beep code 1 long 2 short. I have now replaced all my components w new parts. Could my graphics cards that are unlocked be causing the problem? Even my 5850 has a mod done to where i can bybass ccc limits. But, my 6950s shaders were just unlocked using winflash... Just a question, because this is now baffeling me.
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:32:49 PM

Have you tried it without the graphics card, or if the board doesn't have a built in, with a graphics card that is known to work?

I would go down the the bear minimum and see if it boots that way. Onboard graphics card if it has one, one stick of ram, the processor, and some portable boot medium such as a usb drive running linux or the windows installation disk. Then you can start trouble shooting up from there. If you can't get it to boot that way then RMA the board.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2012 12:57:18 PM

Wow. I guess try flashing the cards back. That is just weird weird weird. I am really stumped here. You got all the drivers, you have RMAed the board, got new RAM, tried different cards, and the CPU IS compatible. Try the card, after that, I have no clue. Just try what total said, trouble shoot form he ground up. Also, could it be shorting from the case?
m
l
January 25, 2012 1:39:46 PM

Total to answer you my board has no onboard graphics. And, donut to answer your ? it cant be a short, ive ran bench tests on it out of the case w same results. Ill redo my bios on cards today and update ya. Once again thanks for all the help.
m
l
January 25, 2012 1:49:18 PM

blewerwes said:
Total to answer you my board has no onboard graphics. And, donut to answer your ? it cant be a short, ive ran bench tests on it out of the case w same results. Ill redo my bios on cards today and update ya. Once again thanks for all the help.

Could still be an internal short on the Motherboard.

ETA: It could be that the board got static damaged, not necessarily by you, but somewhere in between manufacture and now. Static damage doesn't even always show up right away. There can be a delay in between the damage, and the effect.
m
l
January 25, 2012 1:56:26 PM

Yeah I guess it could have, but in regaurds to that im pretty knoledgable about the parts and stuff, alwasy wearing anti static band. But after the flash if that doesnt work then the board is gone back to msi, and I dont even want another one back now, too much trouble and time, and most of all money
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2012 2:11:37 PM

blewerwes said:
Yeah I guess it could have, but in regaurds to that im pretty knoledgable about the parts and stuff, alwasy wearing anti static band. But after the flash if that doesnt work then the board is gone back to msi, and I dont even want another one back now, too much trouble and time, and most of all money

Yeah, I would just screw it and buy an ASUS board or Gigabyte board.
m
l
!