Closed Solved

Dual Display over USB, Mborad, or Video Card?

I'm looking for the cheapest way to do a dual display for an office environment. It will be two different desktop workspaces (not a mirror). No games, simply running multiple Explorers and Office suites.

If I buy a motherboard with a built in VGA and DVI, will these run Dual Display?
Is there a USB adapter that'll run a dual display if there's no expansion ports?

or should I scrap both of these options and get a dual DVI video card?

Thanks.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual display mborad video card
  1. Most modern motherboards with 2 video outputs will support dual monitor configs. There are USB solutions available, but probably aren't necessary given that you can go the motherboard only route if you choose to.

    What is your budget and do you prefer an Intel or AMD based CPU solution?
  2. A low end video card with dual DVI outputs (or 1 DVI and 1 vga/hdmi with an adapter) would probably be cheaper than a USB display adapter and definately cheaper than a new motherboard with an IGP that supports dual display.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127454&cm_re=210-_-14-127-454-_-Product

    This one's cheap and would work as long as you have a PCI-E slot. Do you know the model of your current motherboard/PC?
  3. benski said:
    A low end video card with dual DVI outputs (or 1 DVI and 1 vga/hdmi with an adapter) would probably be cheaper than a USB display adapter and definately cheaper than a new motherboard with an IGP that supports dual display.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127454&cm_re=210-_-14-127-454-_-Product

    This one's cheap and would work as long as you have a PCI-E slot. Do you know the model of your current motherboard/PC?

    But then again, for $3 more, you can get this super cheap motherboard that will do dual monitors (for an office environment) as well.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186201

    It is really a matter of what you have now or intend to buy, within the budget you have available.
  4. ^True, I picked that one because it's only 12 bucks after MIR. I guess I'm a little unclear as to whether this is a new build or if he's just looking to upgrade something he already has cheaply. If it's an upgrade it's a hell of a lot easier to add a video card than to replace a motherboard.
  5. benski said:
    ^True, I picked that one because it's only 12 bucks after MIR. I guess I'm a little unclear as to whether this is a new build or if he's just looking to upgrade something he already has cheaply. If it's an upgrade it's a hell of a lot easier to add a video card than to replace a motherboard.

    That is very true. Clarification is required to make better recommendations. Regardless, I think we all agree that a USB solution is sub-optimal. HOOAH!!!
  6. Thank you for the quick replies. To clarify:

    It's a new build. However, I'm considering whether to buy a cheap premade and adding a component or building my own (with the dual capable mboard). I've pretty much decided that going with a dual display capable Gigabyte board is a good route as I've tested the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H I'm currently working on and it supports dual desktops nicely.

    I don't have any experience with Foxconn so am leary. My range extends to just Asus and Gigabyte. So far it's looking like an AMD socket AM3 build with the Rana 3.0Ghz X3 (triple core). I've chosen this simply based upon combo deals at newegg and price/power ratios.

    **Edit for my horrible spelling.**
  7. Best answer
    DrakeConnar said:
    Thank you for the quick replies. To clarify:

    It's a new build. However, I'm considering whether to buy a cheap premade and adding a component or building my own (with the dual capable mboard). I've pretty much decided that going with a dual display capable Gigabyte board is a good route as I've tested the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H I'm currently working on and it supports dual desktops nicely.

    I don't have any experience with Foxconn so am leary. My range extends to just Asus and Gigabyte. So far it's looking like an AMD socket AM3 build with the Rana 3.0Ghz X3 (triple core). I've chosen this simply based upon combo deals at newegg and price/power ratios.

    **Edit for my horrible spelling.**

    Go with the Gigabyte mobo over the Foxconn anyday. I have the very board you described in one of my machines in my lab and it is rock solid. The Foxconn recommendation was only made to show how inexpensive you could go and still support 2 monitors without any additional costs. For business PCs, you could also look at some cost savings by using low wattage/TDP dual-core AMDs. 3 and 4 core offerings, of course, offer more, but often aren't needed in the workplace for typical apps. Good luck!
  8. Best answer selected by DrakeConnar.
  9. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Office Graphics Product Displays