Help choosing a new vga

hello,
my vga just died and i want to get a new one. which is better for my pc? the budged would be 100-120$.
1. Radeon HD 5670
2. Radeon HD 5570
3. Geforce GT 240
4. Geforce GT 220
5. Geforce GT 430

I would be thankfull for any advice
My pc is a little bit old,, here's what i got:
CPU: Pentium 4, 3 GHz
RAM: 2 GB, 533 MHz
HDD: 160 gb
VGA: was 8500 gt
16 answers Last reply
More about help choosing
  1. With your choices, the 430 is the most capable, overall. However, the 5670 is also a very good general use GPU as well.

    Good luck!

    P.S. Good job on posting your own thread!
  2. 100-120 yea probabyl 430, however look out for blackfriday/cyber monday and you kight find a good deal on a 5750 or 450 in your range if you[re lucky

    actually a quick search on newegg yielded a good gt450 for 119.95 with a 10 dollar rebate so 109.95 and since it s a gigabyte you get a 3 year warrenty with it

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125342
  3. g00fysmiley said:
    100-120 yea probabyl 430, however look out for blackfriday/cyber monday and you kight find a good deal on a 5750 or 450 in your range if you[re lucky

    actually a quick search on newegg yielded a good gt450 for 119.95 with a 10 dollar rebate so 109.95 and since it s a gigabyte you get a 3 year warrenty with it

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125342

    This 450 offer from Newegg is a good deal. +1 to g00fysmiley on digging out this GPU. For your budget, you have lots of options. Just make sure your PSU meets the requirements of whatever solution you decide on.
  4. i'm thinkig about 100-120 $. according to http://www.videocardbenchmark.net the 430 isn't quite good as the gt 240
  5. devil666 said:
    i'm thinkig about 100-120 $. according to http://www.videocardbenchmark.net the 430 isn't quite good as the gt 240

    The 450 mentioned earlier beats them both.
  6. As mentioned look for the holiday deals on Newegg, there are TONS of them. The GTS 450 posted s a great buy. Just make sure your power supply is up to the task. The only issue you will run into is your P4 will hold it back a bit. A Single core in modern games will cause a bottleneck. If you post your power supply specs we can advise you.
  7. You know, you got me to look harder at your options. The big difference between the 430 and the 240 is DX11 vs. DX10.1. Their performance isn't all that much different.

    However, I looked again at the HD5670 and this one from newegg.com is actually a stronger card than both of the others.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150504

    In this price range, none of the cards are going to stand heads and shoulders above the rest. What GPU were you using (just died)?
  8. i almost bought the 5770 version of the xfx card there OLCgeek. in theory they are great but you NEED a good ventilating case to use a single slot 5670 5750 or 5770 . the reviews i saw showed em running hotter than dual slot cards but slightly more efficient. I'd only go singgle slot if your case breathes well otherwise you might overheat the chip

    5670 in general or 5770 in your price range would be great cards as well, this is just a heads up about single slot cards
  9. well my power supply is a bit weak for those video cards - 350 W. i'm thinking replacing that too. 400W would be good in my opinion.
    i was using geforce 8500 gt.

    i can't understand what happened. first i had 6600 gt, died after 2 years. warranty was not over, and the seller replaced that old peace with 8500. now after 3 years that 8500 died... and both vga died when i was playing. the first one died on bioshock, and the secong on cod:mv2 :))
  10. g00fysmiley said:
    i almost bought the 5770 version of the xfx card there OLCgeek. in theory they are great but you NEED a good ventilating case to use a single slot 5670 5750 or 5770 . the reviews i saw showed em running hotter than dual slot cards but slightly more efficient. I'd only go singgle slot if your case breathes well otherwise you might overheat the chip

    5670 in general or 5770 in your price range would be great cards as well, this is just a heads up about single slot cards


    well on my pc case are two more fans on the side. ant there's a empty place for another bigger fan. maybe it would be fine..
  11. devil666 said:
    well on my pc case are two more fans on the side. ant there's a empty place for another bigger fan. maybe it would be fine..

    Sounds like your case has sufficient ventilation. Your GPU history may be tied to your 350w PSU. That really is underpowered for most GPUs. Having a PSU that is running at 100% output all of the time can lead to power issues with your system, particularly with GPUs. Also, sounds like your PSU is getting rather old anyway. I would recommend a new PSU along with the purchase of your new GPU.
  12. if you're got fresh air blowing from the side on the card you are golden, that would be another very viable option and xfx does excellent warrenties

    i'd prefer a 450 to a 5650 but the xfx warrenty is better than gigabyte (but as a low-mid end card i'd wonder if you plan on keeping it the full 3 years)
  13. COLGeek said:
    Sounds like your case has sufficient ventilation. Your GPU history may be tied to your 350w PSU. That really is underpowered for most GPUs. Having a PSU that is running at 100% output all of the time can lead to power issues with your system, particularly with GPUs. Also, sounds like your PSU is getting rather old anyway. I would recommend a new PSU along with the purchase of your new GPU.

    i newer thought that the PSU could be the couse.. maybe i should buy a 450 or maybe a 500 w, not a 400 w.
  14. i'm thinking in buying a new pc, but not now. maybe when i save enough money, but for now i'm replacing the dead one vga
  15. devil666 said:
    i newer thought that the PSU could be the couse.. maybe i should buy a 450 or maybe a 500 w, not a 400 w.

    Underpowered systems can do all sorts of odd things. The one component most affected by lack of power is the GPU, followed by the CPU. This is logical as these are the 2 components that typically require the most power. For this particular system (and unless you are considering re-using a new PSU with a new build later), I would suggest a good PSU in the 400-450w range will meet your needs. You really don't need more that a 500w PSU unless you are considering a higher-end GPU.

    One like this one would do the trick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034

    So, the bottom line is that you can go with about any of the GPUs discussed in this thread, along with a good PSU to accompnay it. Good discussions. Good luck!
  16. I was in the same problem as you a coupel years ago,had a 250 watt psu and got a 9600gt burned thru it after 6 months.Then bought a 9400gt and it's still alive but it took out some of my ram sticks.I dodn't realize the whole time it was the PSU.Your psu may run the card but who knows what it is doing to your PC.

    Here's a good combo deal of a PSU and Graphics Card.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.542265

    The graphics card isn't as good as the ones suggested but it will play games fine, until you decide to buy a new PC.And when you do buy a new PC you can use the power supply to power it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards VGA Geforce Graphics Product