Sign in with
Your question

$1000 build intel or amd

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2011 4:20:04 AM

Ok I just would like to know what you think your be better a i5 2500k+ 570gtx or amd 955cpu + 580gtx

More about : 1000 build intel amd

January 21, 2011 4:38:02 AM

It's really between those two? Well you'll get better frame rates on the GTX 580 for nearly all games...but it's a worse build.

Personally, I'd go with the i5-2500K and a Radeon 6950, which is $50 cheaper than a GTX 570. Then I'd flash the 6950 bios to 6970 and it's just as good as a GTX 570, but with lower power draw--which will save you money on your PSU if you plan on SLI'ing them in the future.
m
l
Anonymous
January 21, 2011 4:51:22 AM

Sandy bridge i5 2500k definitely !

It's a better bang for the buck as it JUST came out a week ago!

AMD is a very bad choice to go with right now!

The 1155 socket will also give you an upgrade path if you want to change your CPU in the future, since the socket just came out it will be future proof.

as for the above post it's a very bad idea to flash the BIOS of a 6950 as the success rate is only 20% and If you get errors or problems, your warranty won't cover them.

I'm not sure about the 570, I think you should wait for more advice on a GPU, I'll do you some research because the GTX 560 comes out soon and I'll update soon.

m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2011 5:03:43 AM

Oh, the last I read the success rate for 6950's was closer to 98%. I'm gonna have to look that up again. But it has a dual bios so if you mess up it should be fine.

AMD's are only worth buying in my opinion if you're going for super cheap and plan on unlocking an Phenom II x2 to an x4. I got a free mobo with two I bought and one unlocked. $150 for a Phenom II x4 compared to $230 for a SB i5? Sandy Bridge, no contest.
m
l
Anonymous
January 21, 2011 6:03:46 AM

Well it depends on the after maker, and even if you did succeed in the flashing you could get errors even weeks later so anyways,

I did some research and concluded that

i5 2500k with a GTX 570 is an excellent choice.

For a CPU cooler I recommend you get the Noctua NH-D14, currently the best CPU air cooler out there that even competes with liquid cooling.

AND the GTX 570 beats the 6970 big time so dalauder is wrong, look at this,

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

looks like the GTX 570 is 15% faster than the 6970, the risk of BIOS flashing the card won't pay off so stick to your first configeration.

You can also buy a superclocked or pre-overclocked version of the card for a little extra money to get the performance of a 580. Also you can overclock it your self.

Stick with the i5 2500k and GTX 570, also get a motherboard that supports atleast 2-way SLi so that later in the future you may get another 570 for SLi.

Also you have to get that CPU cooler the nh-d14 is amazing, it can get you over 4 GHz and it's an air cooler.
If you've got air conditioning and a room temperature of 23 degrees Celsius witha good case like the Cooler Master HAF X, you can get 4.6GHz on it.

m
l
January 21, 2011 4:13:36 PM

Did you notice that the 6950 also beats the 6970? Videocardbenchmark.net is an excellent resource that I use regularly, but it has a small sample size for certain cards (especially manufacturer specific ones) and favors single cores and NVidia cards. It's a bias of the PassMark benching software. If you look at 6970 reviews, it matches up nicely with GTX 570's.

But that doesn't make your conclusion any less correct. If you don't want to mess around with stuff trying to get it to work (like I do--baking my graphics cards and whatnot), then the GTX 570 factory-OC'd is the way to go.

Back to videocardbenchmark.net. For the highend cards, you really need to check reviews and in game benchmarks. Notice how far down the list the Radeon 5970 is? That is hands-down the fastest video card in production (barring ARES). The Radeon 6850 is ranked above it though although in gaming, a 6850 performs similarly to a 5830, similarly to an OC'd GTX 460. So make sure to check reviews.
m
l
Anonymous
January 22, 2011 8:44:26 AM

dalauder said:
Did you notice that the 6950 also beats the 6970? Videocardbenchmark.net is an excellent resource that I use regularly, but it has a small sample size for certain cards (especially manufacturer specific ones) and favors single cores and NVidia cards. It's a bias of the PassMark benching software. If you look at 6970 reviews, it matches up nicely with GTX 570's.

But that doesn't make your conclusion any less correct. If you don't want to mess around with stuff trying to get it to work (like I do--baking my graphics cards and whatnot), then the GTX 570 factory-OC'd is the way to go.

Back to videocardbenchmark.net. For the highend cards, you really need to check reviews and in game benchmarks. Notice how far down the list the Radeon 5970 is? That is hands-down the fastest video card in production (barring ARES). The Radeon 6850 is ranked above it though although in gaming, a 6850 performs similarly to a 5830, similarly to an OC'd GTX 460. So make sure to check reviews.

Well actually Passmark takes an average of many different tests and I think that it includes the superclocked one's too, because when the GTX 580 was released the 480 had a higher score, I use other sites that have more fair benchmarks but Passmark has more organized benchmarks.
m
l
!