Delete this thread please

Delete this thread
11 answers Last reply
More about alternative intel xeon dual
  1. Could you explain why you need a dual CPU system? Xeon processors are expensive, but so are Opteron processors that can be used in dual socket motherboards.
  2. I mean, a motherboard which supports TWO cpu's. For example if you want a equivelent to a i7 extreme you go for Xeon, but if you want two i7 extreme's you can't do that on one motherboard, thus having to switch to a Xeon and combing it with another Xeon!
  3. Intel® Xeon® processors like the Xeon 5600’s come with an extra instruction set that allows them to run in a dual processor configuration. Without that Instruction set they wouldn’t be able to work in a dual processor configuration and since we only put that instruction set on Xeons.

    Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  4. take a look at this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Skulltrail
    great concept
    even though it is older (2008) these systems can still hold their own
    nowadays with the I7s
  5. IntelEnthusiast said:
    Intel® Xeon® processors like the Xeon 5600’s come with an extra instruction set that allows them to run in a dual processor configuration. Without that Instruction set they wouldn’t be able to work in a dual processor configuration and since we only put that instruction set on Xeons.

    Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team


    And how is this helpful?

    Thanks for trying though appreciate it!
  6. I am not sure but I think I remember something about
    using dual I7s on X58 series mobos
    I have to do some research on this
  7. I was wrong
    look at this link
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262466-28-anyone-running-dual
    this I hope answers some of your questions
  8. Ato pecur said:
    I mean, a motherboard which supports TWO cpu's. For example if you want a equivelent to a i7 extreme you go for Xeon, but if you want two i7 extreme's you can't do that on one motherboard, thus having to switch to a Xeon and combing it with another Xeon!

    As IntelEnthusiast pointed out to you, you need Xeon processors that have the embedded logic to run on dual socket motherboards. I7 processors don't have the extra logic required and they just won't work.
  9. king smp said:
    I was wrong
    look at this link
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262466-28-anyone-running-dual
    this I hope answers some of your questions


    kind of, but he still needs two Xeons proccesors, he isn't running two i7's on it!
  10. GhislainG said:
    As IntelEnthusiast pointed out to you, you need Xeon processors that have the embedded logic to run on dual socket motherboards. I7 processors don't have the extra logic required and they just won't work.


    ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it now......
  11. The main reason for Xeons and Opterons is stability. As they are expected to generally function 24/7 with maximum uptime (baring system admin action such as installing updates and general mucking about) they are cherry picked on their ability to do so and thus are more expensive since fewer samples per die qualify to be a workstation part as opposed to a desktop part.

    If you don't need that stability you're better off with desktop parts. Depending on what you are doing you may instead want to distribute the workload among 2 or 3 single socket servers with desktop CPUs as opposed to a single expensive dual Xeon machine
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Xeon Intel