1.8ghz core 2 duo e2160 or 2.8 ghz pentium d 820

stringplay

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Trying to save money by building around a 2.8ghz pentium d. Currently i'm running a 1.8ghz core 2 duo. Should I build with a 2.8ghz pentium d 820 or suffice with a 1.8ghz core 2 duo and wait for 2011 blackfriday for athlon II x2 processor? Why not choose the processor with the most ghz?

Current uses: video editing and rendering, autocad, casual gaming, graphing, excel, photoshop

Core 2 duo is probably faster. It;s likely faster than the athlon 2 x2 as well.

Way to aim high there. Might as well get a pentium 3 900mhz.

build around the core 2 duo. You might be able to get a faster processor if you post your full specs of the PC.

G

The GHz actually called clock rate or frequency doesn't matter any more at all

you could visit this site and compare the benchmark or score of processors.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

The clock rate doesn't matter anymore, there is something called cores, threads architecture and so many things too complicated for you and ME to understand.

An i7 at 1GHz is 10x faster than a Pentium 4 at 4GHz, even if you also put the number of processor cores in mind the latest architecture usually wins.

If you type the name of your Core 2 Duo and then the Pentium D you will find that the Core 2 Duo wins.

Also about the Athlon X2?
I don't get it, you'll need a new Motherboard with the Athlon X2 supported socket.
Are you going to upgrade your motherboard for the Athlon?

Please post your specs so I can help.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Core 2 is faster than Pentium D. I'll give you my own example. I had Pentium 4 (3GHz) desktop before I built this Athlon2 x4 rig. I also still have core 2 laptop (a bit slower than yours CPU: 1.66 GHz). When I benchmarked P4 and core 2, core 2 was slightly faster even on single threaded benches (both XP OS). My estimate core 2 (laptop) is about equal to 3.4 P4. Pentium D is a dual core P4. Currently, I have Athlon 2 X4 630 (2.8 GHz). It is noticeably faster than Core 2 on my laptop (but it is like 1.14 GHz difference). P-4 and P D just have very poor architecture that produces lots of GHz but not much computing power.