No video after going to sleep or shutting down the system

kstephen

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hello,
I am using Windows 7 (64 bit) with a gigabyte motherboard and AMD Phenom II 4 core processor. When the computuer enters sleep mode i can not get the video to come up again. I have to shut off the power supply to finally bring the video back up. Radeon graphics on the mother board.

To be a bit more precise, your computer no longer responds and there is no signal to the monitor after a resume from sleep.

This could be caused by your computer locking up entirely, so it's not necessarily a video-only issue.

Now, if it was just a video issue I would check the monitor. I have seen older ones fail to wake up properly. If turning the monitor off and back on fixed it you would have the culprit.

Otherwise, lot's of good stuff here:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html

kstephen

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I have connected three different monitors all work fine. Computer works fine until I turn it off and then try and restart it. When I restart the CPU fan starts, the ethernet lights come on, I just don't get any post screen. I then have to turn it off and turn the power supply off for an extended period of time and then it starts up again and works fine. Have gone into the BIOS and played with all the power options but nothing seems to solve the problem. Reviewer on NEWEGG recently reported same problem with this board.

kstephen

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I have connected three different monitors all work fine. Computer works fine until I turn it off and then try and restart it. When I restart the CPU fan starts, the ethernet lights come on, I just don't get any post screen. I then have to turn it off and turn the power supply off for an extended period of time and then it starts up again and works fine. Have gone into the BIOS and played with all the power options but nothing seems to solve the problem. Reviewer on NEWEGG recently reported same problem with this board.

If you'll be a bit more complete I can help you better.

The following quotes say two different things:

When the computer enters sleep mode i can not get the video to come up again.
First post

Computer works fine until I turn it off and then try and restart it.
Second post

Are both statements true? The computer will not recover from sleep mode AND it will not restart without powering down the PSU for an extended time? If so it would seem to be a PSU issue.

kstephen

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
The first time I noted the problem was when the computer entered sleep mode from Windows 7. I have turned off the sleep mode in Windows 7 to to eliminate it as a possible souce. When I shutdown the computer from Windows 7 and then restart it the system does not Post. I then have to depress the power key on the front of the case for 4 seconds to shut down the computer. If I try to immediately start the computer again it will not Post although all the fans on the case and CPU heat sink turn on, the DVD drive is functional (opens and closes), the ethernet lights come on on the mother board etc. If I again shut it down (with the power supply switch in the on or off position) and this time wait for 30 minutes or more the computer starts normally. There is no indication that the operating system has started to load during this blank screen time period I have updated the BIOS successfully to the latest version and updated all the drivers to the latest version. If I remove the battery from the mother board it seems to reduce the amount of time I have to wait for the system to be able to post start normally. There does not appear to be anything wrong with the function of the power supply. It is almost like the motherboard is not reading implementing the BIOS when the computer starts up and allowing it to sit before powereing it up again resets something on the mother board so it POST's correctly.

During this same time I built up a second computer with a different brand Mother Board (ASUS vs Gigabyte) and have no problems with it functioning normally.

The only thing that needs 20 minutes or more to cool down is a power supply. You have a bad one that cannot supply stable voltages once warmed up. The board will not post because the PSU is trying to supply bad power.

Get a good PSU. See the guide linked in my sig. If you have a good PSU RMA it.

kstephen

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Plugged in a second power supply that has worked fine with an ASUS motherboard for weeks and same thing repeated with Gigabyte mother board. Will not post after computer has been on for as little as 10 minutes. Talked to Gigabyte tech who did not ask a lot of questions or provide a lot of answers except to return the mother board.

I can't imagine any part of the board that would produce those symptoms, except the part that checks for stable PSU power. That still goes back to the PSU though. Would a fan blowing into the open case decrease the wait time? That at least would verify that the issue is heat related.

kstephen

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
It is impossible to determine when the computer is ready to post correctly as you can only find out by hitting the power button and checking to see if it will post. Last night I went into the BIOS setup and checked the health status writing down the voltages to the CPU and memory. Upon exiting without any changes I was able to return to the BIOS setup several times without allowing the computer to fully boot. Each time I did this the voltages were exactly the same with no variation to the 3rd decimal point which also seems kind of strange as you would expect some variation. If I change some value in the BIOS such as boot from CD/DVD to Hardrive or S1 to S3 for suspend type, the computer willl not repost after exiting and saving the BIOS change. When this occurs it does not seem to take as long before it is ready to power up again but I have not been able to time it to make a direct comparison. I have given up and decided to return the mother board and will no soon when I get the replacement motherboard.

kstephen

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Yes. I have built 3 computers with ASUS boards and this one with GIGABYTE. Never had a problem with the ASUS boards. Probably just unlucky with the GIGABYTE board. Was not impressed with GIGABYTE's technical support.