Sign in with
Your question

More memory?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2010 2:18:46 PM

Hi.
i have 128mb of onboard gfx memory is there anyway to add more gfx memory. my bios does not give me any options for adding more gfx memory. also i get 3gb of ram and windows 64-bit will i get more gfx memory. i dont want to update my bios or any software because i llost my windows disk and dont want to stuff my laptop up haha :D  any help would be appreciated thanks.

More about : memory

a c 226 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
November 22, 2010 2:31:12 PM

You can't increase the physical memory for your GPU given the limitations of your motherboard. Increasing system memory, in your case, may give you more virtual memory for your GPU to take advantage of. Last, updating your BIOS does NOT require your Windows disk or changes to the stuff already on your laptop.
m
l
November 23, 2010 10:42:13 PM

thanks
but for some reason it says 828mb of gfx ram or something. i thought i would be able to add more if i had more ram. but thanks again. also its gma 4500m. i dont know if you could help but people on youtube are managing to run gta 4 on it but it crashes for me for some reason. could you help?
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 12:57:22 AM

you have onboard graphics. adding more ram will not increase performance. Adding faster ram will increas performance a little though. you are much better off getting a dedicated video card though.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 1:26:42 AM

Agree, onboard graphic will not take you anywhere,, no matter how much the amount of RAM, so getting a cheap low end dedicated card is still faster than your current onboard...
m
l
November 24, 2010 1:53:29 PM

thank you.
sorry for all the questions but in my device manager it says pci bus and some other stuff so does that mean i have a pci slot? or does it mean the gfx card is soldered on?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 1:58:48 PM

Have a look at a model number on your motherboard and give us this.

Also, a budget so we can get the bets card for your price range to help you in successfully finding a Dedicate GPU for your needs.
m
l
November 25, 2010 9:38:02 AM

how to find the model number?
im not too worried about price range but underneeth $150 NZ money.
i know im dumb haha but ohwell.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2010 10:27:17 AM

One thing to note is that the OP has a laptop, not a desktop. Upgrading the graphics on a laptop can be very tricky if it's at all possible. wonder44, could you please give us the make and model of your laptop? One potential solution is an external graphics card, it sits in a cage and connects via USB....I seem to remember reading about it...
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
November 25, 2010 2:29:26 PM

Let's try this again.....

You can't increase the physical memory for your GPU given the limitations of your motherboard (inside the laptop). Increasing system memory, in your case, may give you more virtual memory for your GPU to take advantage of. Last, updating your BIOS does NOT require your Windows disk or changes to the stuff already on your laptop.

Whatever dedicated RAM the GPU has is all that it is ever going to have. The system's overall memory can be increased to the max for your system, but unless the laptop uses shared memory for the GPU and the BIOS will allow for more of the system memory to be dedicated to the GPU, you can't increase the GPU memory.

Adding more physical system memory will provide more virtual RAM for the GPU to draw upon (that is what is likely reflected in the 828MB of memory the OP sees indicated).

Good luck!
m
l
November 26, 2010 9:09:23 PM

plastichairball said:
One thing to note is that the OP has a laptop, not a desktop. Upgrading the graphics on a laptop can be very tricky if it's at all possible. wonder44, could you please give us the make and model of your laptop? One potential solution is an external graphics card, it sits in a cage and connects via USB....I seem to remember reading about it...

Its a toshiba l500. the model number on the bottom says psls1a-022002. also thanks again for using your time to help me.
m
l
November 26, 2010 9:10:55 PM

COLGeek said:
Let's try this again.....

You can't increase the physical memory for your GPU given the limitations of your motherboard (inside the laptop). Increasing system memory, in your case, may give you more virtual memory for your GPU to take advantage of. Last, updating your BIOS does NOT require your Windows disk or changes to the stuff already on your laptop.

Whatever dedicated RAM the GPU has is all that it is ever going to have. The system's overall memory can be increased to the max for your system, but unless the laptop uses shared memory for the GPU and the BIOS will allow for more of the system memory to be dedicated to the GPU, you can't increase the GPU memory.

Adding more physical system memory will provide more virtual RAM for the GPU to draw upon (that is what is likely reflected in the 828MB of memory the OP sees indicated).

Good luck!

so you mean it will use the virtual memory as it needs it?
thanks heaps
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
November 26, 2010 11:37:18 PM

wonder44 said:
so you mean it will use the virtual memory as it needs it?
thanks heaps

Yes, exactly. Good luck!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2010 9:43:16 AM

wonder44 said:
Hi.
i have 128mb of onboard gfx memory is there anyway to add more gfx memory. my bios does not give me any options for adding more gfx memory. also i get 3gb of ram and windows 64-bit will i get more gfx memory. i dont want to update my bios or any software because i llost my windows disk and dont want to stuff my laptop up haha :D  any help would be appreciated thanks.

I knew I read about these somewhere:

http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=cjytZpI6lGKd6XX8

and this:

http://www.villageinstruments.com/ [...] age=ViDock
m
l
!