How to reboot computer after power failure

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Windows Vista
  • Power
  • Computers
Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2011 1:04:03 PM

I have a desk top HP Pavilion with Windows Vista Home premium, system 32. I was on the computer yesterday when a power failure, due to high winds, knocked our power out.
When the power came back and I attempted to reboot the computer it would not reboot. I got a message "start up repair cannot repair computer automatically". I tried 5 different restore points but they also failed. I am not a computer expert and need help. Thanks

More about : reboot computer power failure

a c 173 à CPUs
April 18, 2011 1:37:35 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Open you case computer, look for the CMOS battery and remove it for 10s or 15s, install it again enter to the BIOS and look for the option "Load default settings", select it and try to boot again.
m
l
April 18, 2011 2:24:38 PM

saint19 said:
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Open you case computer, look for the CMOS battery and remove it for 10s or 15s, install it again enter to the BIOS and look for the option "Load default settings", select it and try to boot again.

Thank you Saint. I will try your suggestion. Will let you know.
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2011 3:26:18 PM

Hi Saint 19, followed your instructions. Unfortunately, my system won't boot up far enough for me to get into the BIOS or I am not familiar enough with this process to know how to do this step. Found the battery and removed it and reinstalled it no problem. Can you explain how I can get into the BIOS without a complete boot? Thanks.
m
l
a c 173 à CPUs
April 18, 2011 3:46:16 PM

If you rig doesn't boot you can't enter to the BIOS. I think that is a PSU problem, can your try with another PSU?
m
l
April 18, 2011 4:10:37 PM

Unfortunately I do not have access to another PSU without purchasing one. Again, I don't know how to check my PSU due to my lack of expertise. Do really appreciate your help Saint.
m
l
a c 173 à CPUs
April 18, 2011 4:14:38 PM

Do you have access to a multimeter? A friend that borrow his PSU for a while?
m
l
April 18, 2011 4:31:27 PM

I have a multimeter but it is for household current and for continuity.
m
l
a c 173 à CPUs
April 18, 2011 4:36:55 PM

uhmm, that's a problem.
m
l
April 18, 2011 4:55:03 PM

How about if I take my PSU out and take it to "Best Buy" or a computer store and have it checked to see if it is Ok. I assume the PSU it the power supply that runs the whole system. If so I'm a bit confused, if the power supply is bad would that not stop the computer from working at all? As I have said, I can get as far as the message that says "start up repair cannot repair this computer automatically". If the PSU was bad would that not prevent the system from even getting to that point???
m
l
a c 173 à CPUs
April 18, 2011 5:16:18 PM

Yeah, but I want check the PSU because that can kill you other components even if you can get those messages.
m
l
April 18, 2011 5:24:28 PM

Ok, thanks Saint. I have a young friend who has majored in computers. I will have him take a look at it. Again, many thanks for your time, patience and suggestions. I'll let you know how I make out with this problem.
m
l